Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What happened to my job?

A couple of months ago my manager offered me a job as an application dba and I accepted.  (I'm currently a programmer who is getting tired of writing web apps.)  This would take place when funding for the position was approved.  The manager and I were the only ones present during this discussion and she made no announcement about my upcoming change of status.  However when I got back from two week's vacation yesterday I found that she had hired a new person as the application dba.  Incidentally this new person started work on my first day of vacation.  My manager has so far said nothing concerning this change and I have just been trying to stay calm and not walk off the job.  I don't see how I can say anything about this and come out a winner.  It will all come down to he said - she said and the manager's say will naturally prevail. 

passed over
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Regardless of whether it's he said/she said, you need to confront your manager.  When you do this, I'd be prepared to leave (easier said than done.)  You really should not leave without having something else lined up, which you probably won't be able to swing while this is all still relevant.  I'd say if you have a decent severance and/or are willing to sacrifice a bit of your 401k, you should confront them, and if things aren't resolved to your satisfaction, take off.

Failing this, start looking.  Clearly this is not a place that you should be working if the situation is as clear-cut as you have presented it.

muppet
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

No, don't confront anyone. Just ask her why she hired someone else when you thought you were lined up for the job. Maybe she's thinking of something even better for you?

Fred
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

+++No, don't confront anyone. Just ask her why she hired someone else when you thought you were lined up for the job. Maybe she's thinking of something even better for you?+++

This is what I meant by confronting her, as opposed to glossing it over and not mentioning the issue as she seems to be doing.  I never said to be adversarial about it.

muppet
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Next time get it in writing.

AnonX
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Of course you have to ask her why she offered you the job and then hired someone else without letting you know. She has been dishonest, at best.

Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Definately don't "confront" her, meaning going to her all pissed off, but you do need to sit down with her and ask what happened and why things changed. It would be a good idea to be prepared to leave at that meeting, as worst case it could come to that. If she simply renigged on her offer/word, then out of respect for yourself and to soas not to loose all future respect within the organization you will need to immediately give her your notice.

However, as others have said, there may be a good reason for it. You need to ask to visit her office to talk sometime in the next day or so,  no later. Ask simply and honestly and see what happens.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

--Josh

JWA
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

If you work for a company with an HR department, run, don't walk, to your HR rep and ask what the heck is going on ... if not, you should probably do as suggested elsewhere, and just ask.  I would not, under any circumstances, delay too long or leave it alone.  Additionally, I would NOT take the approach of "satisfaction or I walk" ... that just screws you.  If you the issue remains unresolved, start looking for a job, but DO NOT WALK OUT.  You only cut your own throat.

<sigh/>
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Dey took yer jerb!!

sid
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Okay, you seem like a really nice kid, so Im going to give you some advice, but I am only going to say this once, so read carefully:

Burn. The. Fucking. Place. To. The. Ground.

Anon-y-mous Cow-ard
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Perhaps she's been overruled, is embarrassed, and hopes to gloss over the incredible disservice done. That reeks, but check the new hire's quals - better fit for DBA than yours? HR or higher management involved?

This is all conjecture, until you discuss this with your manager to find where her head's at you'll never know.
So go ask, soon, stay calm, and evaluate what you learn before responding in any way.

A natural response would then be to find a better job and split as soon as possible, BUT DO NOT QUIT without a job to go to.

Meanwhile I offer a feeble DBA joke:

Q: What is the difference between a DBA and Attila the Hun?
A: You can negotiate with Attila the Hun.

Good hun(ting).

trollop
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

The biggest problem imo is not that you didn't get the position, but that your manager hired someone else and didn't even bother to discuss with you why he/she did so upon your return from vacation.

I am not going to tell you what I would do in your situation since I don't know you and therefore I don't know if you are qualifed for the position.

One Programmer's Opinion
Wednesday, August 11, 2004

>Q: What is the difference between a DBA and Attila the Hun?
>A: You can negotiate with Attila the Hun.<

No, you can't!

Attila the DBA

Data Miner

It's possible that the funding came through and it was less/significantly less than you're making now?

Regardless, you have to figure out what's going on.

KC

> Anon-y-mous Cow-ard says : Burn. The. Place.

Hey, whoa, not so fast. Go get your red Swingline stapler out of there first.

old_timer

I don't know about the inner workings of your company, but unless your manager has a lot of power, I would guess that the decision to hire the other person was made higher up the food chain and she just has to live with it.

That being said, however, she should at least have the decency to call you in and explain to you what happened instead of trying to pretend the whole situation didn't happen.

Jack B. Nimble

sounds like your timing to take a vacation was impeccably aweful.

roll with the punch.  maybe the new dba will screw up and get fired...

Kenny

If there were any way to put a positive spin on this move (e.g. saving a better job for you, overruled by "them", i can't help it sorry, I can get you a bigger payrise this way) then any manager with half a brain would have called you in as soon as you got back and told you the story their way instead of leaving you to stew.

As we're left only with bad intepretations of what happened, I'd say that you need to find out where you stand with this employer fairly quickly.

Robert Moir

Make friends with the new DBA. Ask the new DBA how they got hired, who interviewed them, etc.

If you boss was involved, then I might want to complain.

But the reality is, it isn't your company, they can do what they want, how they wany.

You need decide if you should fire them/ I mean give your two weeks notice.

Please follow up on this one, I am curious to know what "really" happened.

--
ee

eclectic_echidna

While the "complain to HR" route seems like the proper procedure, I've rarely seen an HR rep that isn't a devoted follower of the corporation and all the managers therein.  Their job is to look out for the company's interests, not those of the worker.  Simply put, you got screwed over on this one and there is no better thing lined up for you as someone suggested.  Update the resume now and watch your upcoming performance reviews since she might start laying down a paper trail of things that "need improvement" so that she has ammunition when the chopping block is rolled out from her closet.

Regen

Let me guess. The new DBA is the CEO's nephew.

In any case, talk to your manager. You may have been vetoed by someone higher than her. She is probably as embarrased about it as your are. Anyway, it's no reason to quit, but you deserve an explanation.

If they keep doing this kind of crap to you, it's time to start looking. But for your own sake, find a new job before quitting!

Miles Archer

A recruiter probably sweet talked the manager about the "fantastic" candidate they had ready for just such a role.

They probably helpfully inquired as the background and "quals" of the person the manager was intending to promote, and politely expressed horror. Such a person would be hopelessly inadequate for the role, they would explain. In fact, for any role. In fact, the helpful recruiter is probably looking for another candidate to replace the poster even as we speak.

Isn't that the script for "The invasion of the body snatchers"?

Ogami Itto
Thursday, August 12, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home