Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Search Engine Recommendation Sought

Can anyone recommend a really simple search engine that works with Apache 1.3.x? I'm looking for something that I can get up and running with the minimum of fuss and configuration. I just want to do basic text searches against the contents of HTML files served by Apache.

Thanks.

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

HtDig: http://www.htdig.org/
Perlfect: http://www.perlfect.com/freescripts/search/

I personally recommend perlfect.

Sassy
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Sorry I forgot to mention, it must be free. It's funny how using lots of open-source software conditions you to assume that it goes without saying that it should be free...

Tuesday, August 10, 2004

John, both of the above are free.  Daniel charges $99 USD to install Perlfect, but it can be downloaded and installed trivially for free.

Sassy
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

another vote for htdig

It has been around for ages too.

Tapiwa
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Whatcho think John, that everybody just puts up their code for free? That you are somehow "entitled" to easy, robust and most of all FREE solutions?! Think again my man, you best go back down the road whence you came!

anon-y-mous cow-ard
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

why should he have to re-invent the wheel when he can get another one for free.

Tapiwa
Wednesday, August 11, 2004

use google.  Joel does.

i like i

Thanks, I'll check them out. Google's not an option because it's not for an Internet website.

And Joel doesn't use google. Have you noticed that there is no google logo and his search thingy isn't what it could be?

Ogami Itto

Ogami Itto: goto www.joelonsoftware.com and use that search box.

I hazily remember reading somewhere that Joel said it was better than getting his own search engine or something, but can't find that (even with that google search).  Forgotten the context.

i like i

"Google's not an option because it's not for an Internet website".

Do you mean InTRAnet site?  I would beg to differ... I have found lots of inTRAnet content with regular old Google, whether it was supposed to be there or not!

devinmoore.com

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home