Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Microsoft Revolutionizing the kitchen.

Our friends from Redmond at at it again. "From the kitchen to the enterprise" is Microsoft's new battle cry.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/web/learnmore/crawford_kitchenpc.mspx

"Most seasoned cooks know about substituting flour for corn starch or arrowroot but who knew you could substitute mashed banana and baking powder for a whole egg?"

For trouble free operation, MS  offers some friendly advice to grandmas:  "If you do have an interference problem, you can use an 802.11a wireless connection providing that any other wireless connections are also set up to use 802.11a. 802.11a wireless connections use the 5 GHz band, so you avoid interference issues with microwave ovens and 2.4 GHz cordless phones."

Or maybe they think convincing grandmas to buy their stuff is a lot easier than attempting to convince enterprise customers.

Karthik
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

I think I've seen this somewhere (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0323872/) :-)

DEBEDb
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Micro$ofts got no right to be doing anything in my kitchen! If I see its ugly face, i'm gonna stick my boot right up its ass!

anon-y-mous cow-ard
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

This bit killed me

"And since everyone cooks in our house and the atmosphere can become a bit strained when a fellow cook dribbles their demi-glace all over your mother's blackberry pie recipe, we started keeping our favorite recipes in a folder on the kitchen PC desktop."

One can laminate and effectively water/oil/grease proof paper recipes, but watch some idiot knock a cup of egg nog over your keyboard.

Must be the silliest excuse to get a laptop in the kitchen.

Tapiwa
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

All these microwaves, gigawaves and picowaves are gonna kill us all anyway :)

wtf
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

I wouldn't mind having an industrial quality laptop in the kitchen. In fact just having the display and keyboard in the kitchen with the computer elsewhere would be fine too.

muppet
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Why cant you just store all your recipes in your desktop computer in your room and just take a printout as and when you need a recipe. How often do you cook based on a recipe?. Once a month probably or at most once a week?

By Microsoft's logic, we can also have a computer in the bathroom. There are a lot of websites which tell you how to brush your teeth and scrub your back. Imagine how cool it is to Google in the middle of a bath to find out some technicality.

Karthik
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

I actually worked on a system designed for the kitchen once, it had a waterproof keyboard you could run through the dishwasher.  I wouldn't want to type on it, but for surfing the web or looking up recipes it was fine.  Never sold because the client was an asshat who spec'd a $1200 BOM for a product that cost $300, but it had it's neat features.  Even saw some in design homes around town.

That said, no f'n way would I let Microsoft control my recipes.  I can just see some sleazy hacker changing 1 Jalapeno to 3 Habeneros on me, or worse.

Snotnose
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Wait until Hormel hears about this. Then there will really be lots of spam.

muppet 2.0
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Someone needs to do a parody of this page

"How Useful Is an Operating Room PC?"

"Most doctors know you can substitute a sharp knife for a scalpel, but how many knew that you could use a rusty nail to clear a blocked esophagus?"

And

"Aren't you tired of getting blood on your copy of Gray's Anatomy? Well now you can surf to medecine.about.com without worrying about how bile can eat through the pages."

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Sounds kind of cool.

When I cook I will often go download some recipes, and then bring my laptop into the kitchen.

My husband finds it incredibly amusing. A geeky housewife, strange combination.

Aussie Chick
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

There's a demonstration technology kitchen where the interface is built into the counter of the kitchen and areas of the counter are sensitive to weight (and can convert weight to liquid volume given the kind of liquid).

The same kitchen also has an inventory manager that knows what's in the fridge, freezer and cupboards.  I guess that means you have to barcode the food into the cupboards and appliances.

Keyboards won't be required.

Simon Lucy
Wednesday, August 11, 2004

I have a persistent, non-volatile, random-accessible database of recipes which is totally free from electrical failures, impervious to email viruses, largely safe against physical disaster, highly portable, and usable in all kinds of sub-optimal conditions. It's called a COOKBOOK, and I can even use Post-it notes on it!

Data Miner

Somehow I can't see anyone I know coughing up a minimum of £600 in order to access recipes, as opposed to cookbooks which mostly turn up as Christmas & Birthday presents.  Plus most people I know, having had a few years practice, tend to wing it without a recipe. 

Just goes to show what desparation a saturated market drives you to I suppose.

a cynic writes...

Microsoft is trying to solve problems that don't exist. You know what happens if you have to create your own problem before solving it...  ;)

First, they should be concentrating more on problems that already naturally!!!

goofball

already ^exist^ naturally

(sorry)

goofball

I have a computer in the kitchen.  well, technically just a wireless keyboard/mouse & LCD are in the kitchen, while the computer is under the stairs.  There's a TV card in it, so my wife has the TV going while she's cooking.  We use it extensively for recipes from epicurious & food network, and it's often easier than printing out. 

The other useful thing is IM - we don't have to run upstairs to answers IM's... as we do a lot of baking and cooking, a good deal of time is spent in the kitchen. 

The keyboard isn't in the main food prep area, and we've never had a problem with spillage.  This writeup sounds goofy, but don't knock having a kitchen computer.  It's very useful.

nathan

I want what Nathan has.

Miles Archer

Miles,

You mean you want the PC in the kitchen or the wife?  :P

hehe

>Somehow I can't see anyone I know coughing up a minimum of £600 in order to access recipes, as opposed to cookbooks which mostly turn up as Christmas & Birthday presents.  Plus most people I know, having had a few years practice, tend to wing it without a recipe.

I disagree.

I have plenty of cookbooks that I love, well-used pages get messy and splattered, and lets be real, even my nanna doesn't make a cake without a recipe. Some things are very 'wingable', really most main meals I guess.

The laptop comes in so handy when I want a recipe for something that I have never cooked before. Sometimes in my twenty cookbooks I can't find an answer, or I want a recipe variation. Or I want to try something so new that I saw someone eat in a cafe (ie Balsamic tar), so I do a google search, find a few recipes, head into the kitchen and experiment.

My argument is that a revolutionised kitchen is great for cooking new things and being adventurous etc.

Aussie Chick
Thursday, August 12, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home