Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

disclaimer and terms & condtions

Hi Joelsters:

I am launching a web site that offers MLS type services - realtors posts real estate offerings and I get paid for the duration of their post(s).

My question is: do I need a lawyer to do the dislaimer and terms and conditions of my site? or can I do it myself?

Is there any valid resource on the web so that I can write this myself.

Any suggestions?

Joe in SF
Monday, August 09, 2004

You want to provide a business service for REAL ESTATE AGENTS and you wonder whether you should retain a lawyer?

Maybe you should give tango lessons.

muppet
Monday, August 09, 2004

* Any comments in this thread should not be construed as legal advice, nor is discuss.fogcreek.com responsible for any damages advice here may cause.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, August 09, 2004

Mark,

Who takes legal advice from a programmer board anyways?

muppet,

Whats wrong with real estate agents, they are the honest people in the bunch, OP didnt say used car salesmen. :)

Patrik
Monday, August 09, 2004

The NOLO book "Web and Software Development" has lots of information about legal issues affecting a web site.  Check a few (recent!) books like that, and if you still have questions, call a lawyer.  Even if you do end up needing a lawyer, the time and money spent on the books will make you better prepared to get the most out of the time you pay the lawyer for.

Kevin
Monday, August 09, 2004

* Any humorous posts, or failed attempts at humor, should be taken as such and anyone who doesn't figure that out shoud lighten up.

Seriously, though, NOLO press is a good place to start your research.

Other real estate sites will, no doubt, have disclaimers and TOS's you can use when putting together your own.

At the end of the day, however, hiring a *competent* lawyer is probably your best bet, but as the previous poster mentioned, it doesn't hurt to do some research first.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, August 09, 2004

What's wrong with real estate agents? Besides the fact that they are blood sucking leeches who help artifically boost land prices so the rich fat-cats can enoy their luxurious lives while the common man has to settle for scraps.

Besides that, I guess nothing.

muppet
Monday, August 09, 2004

You're getting more believable... keep trying.

muppet
Monday, August 09, 2004

I thought about cutting and pasting the TOS from this site and then thought that it might not be funny.

http://www.homestore.com/Company/TermsOfUse.asp?poe=realtor&gate=realtor

MilesArcher
Monday, August 09, 2004

That's almost as long as the list of ingredients on the side of my breakfast cereal, or that should be on the front of a pack of cigarettes (just below the photo of lung cancer, sorry, real estate agents).

trollop
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Get real, Patrick, you'll find a honest serial rapist before you find an honest estate agent.

OP - get a damn lawyer.

Mr Jack
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Jack,

":)" .... should tell you i wasnt seriouis. Anyhow. I get your point.

Patrik
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

That's _Mr_ Jack to you.

Mr Jack
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home