Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Outlook attachments

I have Outlook 2003.  I received an email with a 10 MB attachment.  I have saved the attachment to my hard drive.  Now I'd like to strip the attachment from the email, so that I can still search on the email while reducing the size of my mail store.  Can anyone tell me how to do this? 

Thanks.

nathan
Monday, August 09, 2004

Right-click on the attachment, select delete. Then go to File|Save ?

Ankur
Monday, August 09, 2004

Thanks. 

nathan
Monday, August 09, 2004

That gets you a copy of the attachment for safe-keeping. Then you need to remove the attachment from the email: right-click the attachment in the email and then "remove".

A.T.
Monday, August 09, 2004

Well, with outlook express I regularly drag the email to the desktop, delete it from OE itself, open it in a text editor, remove anything i don't like, and drag it back in.. 

The easiest way seems to be to stick the cursor on the start of the base64-encoded attachment (the block of random characters) and ctrl+shift+end to go down to the bottom and shift+up to exclude the end of the mime stuff (sounds more complicated than it actually is).. just killing all the base64 stuff saves you having to rebuild the mime headers manually, and just means the message has a 0byte attachment with the original filename, which is helpful when trying to find the damn file again.. ;)

YMMV with Outlook (as opposed to Outlook Express) however..

Dan
Monday, August 09, 2004

It will still be taking up space in the archive until you compress it.

MilesArcher
Monday, August 09, 2004

Forward the email to yourself w/o the attachment and delete the original.

Past and Future Student
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Actually, I just double-checked this. There's an easier way.

Open the email. Right-click on the attachment, and select "remove" from the context menu.  Close the email, saving your changes.

Past and Future Student
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home