Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Getting Spammed & Looking for GOOD Trace Tools

Of of our e-mail is sent thousand of times
to all our Managing Directors.

o We've blocked (Send + Receive) the account who has sent the e-mail at the Exchange Server level

Despite that the same e-mail is being sent hundred of time
to the original Recipients

Is there any good tools available to trace who is spamming you ?

RasterBlaster
Monday, August 09, 2004

"We've blocked (Send + Receive) the account who has sent the e-mail at the Exchange Server level"

Get a clue.  Spammers lie, spammers relay etc.  You will not track down any decent spammer.  Plus remembember, it is estimated 2/3 of the spam in the air at any given time is being served of compromised home user systems running that icon of security -- Windows.

Get a server side scanning tool, you'll drive yourself mad trying to block this address and that address ad nauseum.

sysadmin
Monday, August 09, 2004

If Mr Mitnick (Which is an ace hacker) ended up in jail I guess that even that the average spammer can get traced and caught ...

Just my $0.02

RasterBlaster
Monday, August 09, 2004

They have been traced. The authorities either don't care or aren't able to stop them.

The names, addresses, methods of operation and supporting evidence for the people responsible for 90% of spam have been published for a long time.

http://www.spamhaus.org/rokso/

Nate Silva
Monday, August 09, 2004

What country was Mr Mitnik caught in? And what country are the spammers in?

Matthew Lock
Monday, August 09, 2004

"What country was Mr Mitnik caught in? And what country are the spammers in? "

Not a clue, sure if the IP happens to be in India then I'm
indeed screwed ...

RasterBlaster
Monday, August 09, 2004

Mitnick was caught in the US, many spammers aren't.

Matthew Lock
Monday, August 09, 2004

What does Mitnik have to do with spammers? The Government deems Mitnik as a danger to society somehow, and he was forbidden to use a computer or electronic device for a long time.

I don't see how a spammer qualifies as being on the same level.

I'm not judging Mitnik in any way shape or form, I'm just talking about the government's view of him and why he was "caught" and why most spammers can "go free."

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, August 09, 2004

Matthow: In the ROKSO link you'll see that the vast majority of spammers are in the United States and that "[m]any of these spam operations pretend to operate 'offshore' using servers in Asia and South America to disguise the origin."

SpamHaus (and others) have lots of evidence that could be used to shut them down. That's from a volunteer-run organization. Imagine what a law-enforcement agency could do.

Law-enforcement agencies are *not* interested in shutting down spammers.

Nate Silva
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

%s/Matthow/Matthew/g

Nate Silva
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home