Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Eric Sink's Software Pricing Article

Has this been posted?

I know Eric had mentioned it made to the editor ... but took a couple of days to make it to MSDN . . .

Anon
Sunday, August 08, 2004

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnfoghorn/html/foghorn10272003.asp

Prakash S
Sunday, August 08, 2004

oops, that was wrong....

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsoftware/html/software08052004.asp

this is the right one.

Prakash S
Sunday, August 08, 2004

Thanks d00d!

Anon
Sunday, August 08, 2004

Eric's clarity and pragmatism continues to impress (and educate) me.

I wonder if he will eventually bind up all these essays into a book. There are certainly a few people I'd buy a copy for.

John C.
Monday, August 09, 2004

I sort of skimmed it, but it seemed like Pricing 101 to me.

1. You want to hit the point where suppy & demand maximize revenue.

2. Sometimes people will buy a more expensive product simply because it seems more valuable than a less expensive product.

3. Check out the competition.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, August 09, 2004

"I sort of skimmed it, but it seemed like Pricing 101 to me."

I would call it "Pricing 101 Made Easy for a Programmer to Understand".

Maybe it's not complex, but requires understanding things outside many programmers' knowledge and expertise.

Jim Rankin
Monday, August 09, 2004

I'm never surprised by the quantity of people who will say "that's so obvious!" when they read something, but yet have never said that thing themselves. "Oh, e = mc^2. Sure, that's SOOOOOO obvious." :)

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Monday, August 09, 2004

I don't have to say it, it's in dozens of books on the subject. Like the ones he was summarizing.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

He didn't say anything that's new to me either, but he did a great job of presenting it. I didn't expect to either since I've been doing this kind of thing for the last 10 years or so.

(kind of blows my cover as muppet, though)

muppet 2.0
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Mark,

maybe you should see it in the context of the entire series of articles.

The "If you build it, they will come" part does not work in software, and pricing can make or break your sales.

Add to the fact the most programmers would not have taken Econ 101, this makes a good read.

Prakash S
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home