Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Recommended setup for a Webcast?

This is for a one-time live audio webcast.

This is what I have in my mind. The audio will be received through a computer connected to the Internet through a slower connection. The audio will be transmitted to Windows Media Server running on Windows Server 2003 over the slower Internat connection. From there the audio will be broadcasted over a faster Internet connection. This should make sure that 50-500 users should be able to listen to that webcast.

Any recommendation on how to get the audio from the PC to the Server? Or is there any other proposed solution? Remember, the audio input PC will have a slow Internet conneciton. Also, the budget is kind of limited since it would be a one-time event.

anon
Saturday, August 07, 2004

http://www.livemeeting.com/

Uses telephone teleconferencing for audio.

Philo

Philo
Saturday, August 07, 2004

Doesn't ShoutCast (made by the WinAmp folks) do this kind of thing? I think it broadcasts anything that WinAmp sees.

I have some friends who set up an audio show using freely available software. I can ask them to drop by this thread.

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, August 08, 2004

Thanks MarkTAW.com.

anon
Sunday, August 08, 2004

Philo, I want the "audience" to have a commonly used piece of software such as Windows Media Player. It's not a one-to-one meeting.

anon
Sunday, August 08, 2004

I think Windows Media Encoder should work.

anon
Sunday, August 08, 2004

Hey, talked to my friend, they're using Shoutcast, but they said you need a good server and I guess good bandwidth. Anyone who can listen to streaming mp3's should be able to listen to your broadcast, so WinAmp or Windows Media Player should work.

The "DJ" transmits to a "Server" and the server transmits to the world.

You can grab the free software here:

http://www.shoutcast.com/download/

Good Luck!

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Sybase does their webcasts for Beta evaluators through placeware. Used to be an applet console. I think placeware was acquired by Microsoft and now uses MS software. User experience is comparable. You need phone for sound. So when i follow from home (time zones) i am reduced to watching the app sharing and pp slides and not hearing the questions. questions can also be typed and you can IM other participants.

Some casts are recorded and can be played back. Niggle is that you have to enter a meeting before the required software components are installed (1st time) and you can only enter a meeting around the scheduled time. So on dail-up you end up being late one your first meeting.

Karel
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

There is something to be said for phone conferences. They don't have to be participatory, they can be one-way only, and even moderated.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home