Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

WinAmp = memory HOG.  Any lightweight mp3 players?

AFAIC, WinAmp is a god damn virus.  It pins my CPU.
I'd like a simple stripped down mp3 player.
No bells/whistles.  Just something w/ minimal footprint, and a play button.  Any suggestions ?

Anon for today
Saturday, August 07, 2004

huh?

I pulled up Windows Task Manager while I was listening to some MP3s and WinAmp's CPU usage never went over 2 percent.

OJ bin Laden

If you're reaally serious about a *lightweight* app, download wav.zip from:

http://www.cmdtools.com/

jdm

The CMD promp is the play button.

jdm

Winamp hogs about 16 megs on my system and less than 1% CPU. You can reduce the memory footprint by messing with the buffer allocations (options/prefrences/output/buffers).

By the way, make sure you dont have a version 3.xx because they are widely known to suck.

Eric Debois

Windows media player is part of the OS.  Be definition, that is lightweight.

hoser

I noticed the same problem then I reinstalled with ONLY the classic skin, not the new skin and it makes a huge difference.

Pault

An unrelated problem: when the resolution is changed, Winamp's various panes become scattered (initially being docked to each other).

Alex

Have you taken a look at FireFox? 15 megs just to load it, and then every time you load a page this number goes UP... Without ever really coming down.

Thunderbird is about the same at 39 megs for me right now.

IE is at 17 megs for me just for loading JoS and browsing a couple of threads.

Tell me, how much memory do you have that you're concerned with Winamp? (27 megs when I load it).

www.MarkTAW.com

"Have you taken a look at FireFox? 15 megs just to load it, and then every time you load a page this number goes UP... Without ever really coming down.

Thunderbird is about the same at 39 megs for me right now."

That's why I went back to Mozilla.

OJ bin Laden

The thing is, IE's also 15 megs when you launch it. Heck so is Windows Explorer.

Right now, of the 4 programs, Winamp is taking up the least memory at 13,848K.

www.MarkTAW.com

Oh, and 00 or 01 CPU Usage.

www.MarkTAW.com

Oh, and check out the Audioactive Player

http://www.audioactive.com/download/default.htm

And I'd look to make sure you didn't have visualization on in WinAmp, and really didn't have a virus or unwanted plugin.

www.MarkTAW.com

To the OP: Get WinAmp 2.95 from here:

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=winamp

Fred

Weren't there favorite versions within the 2.x line? I believe features would be added and subsequently removed from later versions for no good reason... At the whim of the developer, I guess. I forget what consensus said was the best 2.x version.

www.MarkTAW.com

!foobar!

as in www.foobar2000.org

Take out plugins you don't want.

--
ee

eclectic_echidna

Re: IE

IE also has a 10mb memory usage in explorer.exe, seperated from IEXPORER.EXE.

Not really fair to compare the two when IE is built into the OS.

SEECZAR

You could just get more memory and a decent CPU, I suspect winamp will not be the only resource hog you have if it is something that is worrying you

nakedCode

"If you're reaally serious about a *lightweight* app, download wav.zip"

Wow. That's scary. It matches every one of his requirements, yet is probbably nowhere near what he's looking for.

Can you write a batch file to simulate a playlist?

As a 15k download, I don't think he can complain about the memory footprint.

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, August 08, 2004

I've got 2.91 Lite on this, my girlfriend's computer. I think that by 2.95, they'd begun to integrate the 3.0 bells and whistles.

Thom Lawrence
Sunday, August 08, 2004

When I turned off the stupid animated sound "graphs",  the CPU usage plummeted.  How retarded.

Anon for today
Sunday, August 08, 2004

You mean the little thing in the main window, or the visualizations? Because I always have the spectrum analyzer on, and CPU usage is still around 00 or 01.

The visualization, on the other hand, I fully expect to take up a lot of CPU time.

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, August 08, 2004

"I've got 2.91 Lite on this, my girlfriend's computer. I think that by 2.95, they'd begun to integrate the 3.0 bells and whistles."

I've seen a lot of people complain about WinAmp 3 but I used it for quite a while and thought it was fine.
I just used the default skin and turned off as many "bells and whistles" as I could.

CGI-bin Laden
Sunday, August 08, 2004

winamp 5.02, classic skin: ~3-4MB mem, virtually no CPU usage

Martin
Sunday, August 08, 2004

If it really is pegging your cpu, you may want to check that your hard drive is not on its last legs.  I have seen Windows Media Player get to 20% cpu usage due to a hard drive that was about to die -- I assume that it was in a failure mode.

die strucher
Monday, August 09, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home