Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Contract/part time Programmer

Hi,

I would like to know ur great and transparent view of contract/part time programming/job.

As a IT worker, and above 5 yrs of exp, I came to know many peoples in all over the world. Now, I changes companies, and go on as a carrer movement. Many of the companies CEO/ technical stuff, and many others request me to work for their work/job in part time or my lessire time.

I know they get good out put from me(at leats the software run more than 4 yrs without any troble), so definately they will interested for my serviced.

But my question is, by doing so in weekend or my lesire time, am I do soemthing wrong for my current employer?
Did I spoil some of my present employer valuable time (as for the case, I can not stop thinking on analysis for this part time job, when I work in my office).

What do you think al. Pls let me know.

Thansk!
Populate
(hlaha@yahoo.com)

Populate
Saturday, August 07, 2004

Please repost using standard english.

Stan

> Did I spoil some of my present employer valuable time (as for the case, I can not stop thinking on analysis for this part time job, when I work in my office).

You answered your own question.  Yes, your outside activities are distracting you.  However, your problem is not your side work, it's your lack of ability to focus.,

Bella

The biggest thing holding you up is without a doubt your command (or lack thereof) of the language. You can improve both your freelancing and day job by learning English. The typical North American employer will not want to hire somebody for full time work who speaks or writes in a way that makes them look uneducated.

Clay Dowling

Git, Troll!

Anon-y-mous Cow-ard

I appreciate all your comments. Thanks for ur thinking on this area.

Yes, I asked myself, and I get anwer from myself quite different. I think, if I did some more extra work, I can grow up more confidence. In this way, I can prove myself wheather I am correct in my plan, way, idea etc.

I did it, and enjoy it.

And my dear friends, for good communication in US english, I do not think is mandatory. Which really reqrd is, to prove urself skill, present your power, motivation, plan and programming skill sets to the rest of the world.

You have to take the chalanges. Thats the thing you have, others feel it, and love you, obey you.

Pls continue every one to post on this topic

Thanks All.
Populate

Populate
Sunday, August 08, 2004

If you can't bother to learn proper English, you come across as being sloppy. Sloppiness and programming don't go well together.

I'm not a native English speaker/writer either, but that doesn't give me an excuse to write however I want.

You can't even be bothered to spell out "your", for crying out loud. Why should an employer trust you not to take similar ridiculous shortcuts in your code?

sid6581
Sunday, August 08, 2004

Dear Populate,
                      I hope you come from a country where there is a large population that speaks your native language, because your knowledge of English, and worst still your attitude, will ensure that no company from the English speaking world, and most from India, will offer you work.

Stephen Jones
Sunday, August 08, 2004

It comes off like a troll: supposedly an idiot savant type with almost-illiterate written English skills who blithely states that he finds lots of lucrative work directly with C level executives and acts like it's all a fun game.

To anyone listening with any degree of professionalism who has been kicked in the teeth by this market and who takes their professional image seriously, a post like this is like chalk on a blackboard. Even if it's bullshit.

Bored Bystander
Sunday, August 08, 2004

It doesn't seem to be a joke, if you search for hlaha@yahoo.com on Google you'll find him looking for freelance work. And his English is just as atrocious as here.

sid6581
Sunday, August 08, 2004

> But my question is, by doing so in weekend or my lesire time, am I do soemthing wrong for my current employer?

That depends on your employment contract. Sometimes you sign (agree to) a contract which says that you agree work for this one employer only, full-time ... and sometimes, for example if you're a part-time or contract worker, you don't sign such an agreement.

If you don't know, you could ask your current employer.

Christopher Wells
Sunday, August 08, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home