Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Looking for a time logging application

I've read the article below :
http://www.dexterity.com/articles/get-more-done.htm

So now I'm looking for a good software application for keeping a detailed time log :

Can anyone recommend me one ?

>> Cut
Keep a detailed time log. The first step to better managing your time is to find out how you're currently spending your time. Keeping a time log is a very effective way to do this, and after trying it for just one day, you'll immediately gain a tremendous amount of insight into where your time is actually going. The very act of measuring is often enough to raise your unconscious habits into your consciousness, where you then have a chance to scrutinize them more closely.

Here's how to keep a time log. Throughout your day record the time whenever you start or stop any activity. Consider using a stopwatch to just record time intervals for each activity. You can do this during only your working time or throughout your entire day. At the end of the day, sort all the time chunks into general categories, and find out what percentage of your time is being spent on each type of activity. If you want to be thorough, do this for a week, and calculate the percentage of your total time that you spent on each type of activity. Be as detailed as possible. Note how much time you spend on email, reading newsgroups, web surfing, phone calls, eating, going to the bathroom, etc. If you get up out of your chair, it probably means you need to make an entry in your time log.

You may be surprised to realize that you are spending only a small fraction of your working time doing what you'd consider to be actual work. Studies have shown that the average office worker does only 1.5 hours of actual work per day. The rest of the time is spent socializing, taking coffee breaks, eating, engaging in non-business communication, shuffling papers, and doing lots of other non-work tasks. The average full-time office worker doesn't even start doing real work until 11:00am and begins to wind down around 3:30pm.

<< Cut

FairLight
Friday, August 06, 2004

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=171664

It's a day old, but I think the information is still relevant.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, August 06, 2004

>>> It's a day old, but I think the information is still relevant.

Surely the state of the art has advanced since then...

Allnetic was a good recommendation, I'm trying out the 30-day demo.

Ward
Friday, August 06, 2004

How about Notepad?

What is the big deal about logging time? In the "old days", we wrote stuff down on paper using pointy things called pens and pencils.

Maybe you should start out with crayons...

Data Miner
Saturday, August 07, 2004

Because you won't write it down until AFTER it happened and you won't know what time you REALLY started or stopped. Here you just click an icon in the systray and go.

See my thoughts in the linked-to thread.

www.MarkTAW.com

Has anyone seen a source for this claim:

>>Studies have shown that the average office worker does only 1.5 hours of actual work per day.

It doesn't sound completely unreasonable, but last time I saw it I went off and Googled and couldn't find anything specific.

John C.

>>Studies have shown that the average office worker does only 1.5 hours of actual work per day.

Looks like you're talking specifically about government employees. :-(

Rank Merida

Looks like you're talking specifically about government employees. :-(
<<

No, that would be 1.5 hours a MONTH...

Data Miner
Sunday, August 08, 2004

I might as well post it here since that thread has gone down beyond the bottom of my browser window.

This utility will insert the time every time you hit F2. You can use it in conjunction with a text file/spreadsheet/whatever to track your activities. You have to set it when you start it up, but it should keep the time for the rest of the day.

www.marktaw.com/temp/timestamp.zip

I still think The Allnetic WTT is better because it will remind you if you go/come back from idle to start/stop tracking your time, and it will combine all the times. I spent many a Friday afternoon juggling my numbers so it looked like I actually did a solid 8 hours of work every day, and the WTT helped me do it. Also, nobody ever notes the time of an interruption, but WTT will notice when you go idle.

Anyway... If you're still keeping track of your time in a flat text file or similar, you can use this utility to plug in the time for you.

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, August 08, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home