Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Invoicing format?

For my fellow freelancers: how do you do your invoicing? I've been using an Excel spreadsheet that's been ok so far for hourly work, but in tweaking it to handle a fixed-price deal I just finished I'm thinking I should try to come up with something more professional.

Cheers,

Brad
Friday, August 06, 2004

You can get all kinds of business forms in all kinds of formats (.xls, .doc etc) for really cheap at big office supply stores.

Bob
Friday, August 06, 2004

I've used Quickbooks for 7 years. Before that I used a word processor.

Originally all I used QB for was to enter and print invoices.

Then when I incorporated I wound up using QB to do *everything* - invoicing, payments from clients, my own payroll, paying expense checks, writing checks to pay quarterly taxes, etc.

Originally I looked upon all of QB's features as overkill and I used it as a glorified word processor. When I incorporated and stopped comingling my personal and business funds, I found that QB could give me an up to the second view of where I was and how I was doing.

The short form of my answer therefore is - use a proper accounting program if you're at all serious about your business.

Bored Bystander
Friday, August 06, 2004

I just use a Word document. Nice and simple.

Nemesis
Friday, August 06, 2004

"I just use a Word document. Nice and simple. "

yeah, I use Word for :

* Invoices
* Accounting
* Spreadshets
* web design
* Graphic design
* Programming

Heck, why program, with the right amount of work, Word can do anything that any other program can do.

NOT.
</sarcasm>

Mr.Analogy
Friday, August 06, 2004

Dr. Mr. Analogy,

Your previous message was not well-formed as it had a closing tag without the corresponding opening tag.  Please correct this oversight on future postings.

KC
Friday, August 06, 2004

He does not need  to, for those of us using IE :)

moseswhitecotton
Friday, August 06, 2004

Word is good for invoices. It probably depends how much detail you put in your invoices.

Friday, August 06, 2004

Agree with BoredBystander. Word and Excel may seem easy now but once you get going they become maintanence problem. Just start with something like quickbooks

Tom Vu
Saturday, August 07, 2004

So anyone got a proper accounting program they use other than QB? Like say freeware or atleast not scum-subscription-ware? I would rather stick with word/excel docs than go anywhere near QB.

woofo doff
Monday, August 09, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home