Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Job Boards

Having lost a job recently I've been looking at international job adds. One of the most assiduous is the ITJobboard. They send me listings with jobs almost every week.

Now, having heard I don't know how many times that these adds were fake, my question is, how much can I depend on these companies?

BTW, I receive jobs from Ireland and GB. If anyone wants to give their opinion on the situation there, feel free.

Alardo
Friday, August 06, 2004

> Now, having heard I don't know how many times that these adds were fake, my question is, how much can I depend on these companies?

Last year I applied to about three dozen companies that advertised on the http://www.monster.ca and/or http://www.workopolis.com boards (in Canada) ... and was hired by one.

Christopher Wells
Friday, August 06, 2004

You were hoping to be hired by more than one?

A touch greedy...

Simon Lucy
Friday, August 06, 2004

Job boards are useless, you get a job by talking to people not by sitting behind a computer sending resume's out to fake/old/filled jobs.

AnonX
Friday, August 06, 2004

Well, when you don't know anyone in your new country, how do you manage?

Alardo
Friday, August 06, 2004

AnonX -

we don't all have the fake-personality bullshitting ass-kissing networking skills that you no doubt have.  Personally, I've gotten ALL my jobs from job boards and I'm doing pretty OK.

muppet
Friday, August 06, 2004

Actually, you've made my day a bit brighter, muppet.

Alardo
Friday, August 06, 2004

i got most of my interviews through job boards. 

the great advantage of getting an interview this way is that they're interviewing you for your qualifications and not for some *favor*.

the bad thing is that you'll probably have some stiff competition...

Kenny
Friday, August 06, 2004

> Well, when you don't know anyone in your new country, how do you manage?

I got a job in Rome once via an international contract agency.

Christopher Wells
Friday, August 06, 2004

Alardo –

“Well, when you don't know anyone in your new country, how do you manage?”

Get out of the house and go where there are people, parks, malls, neighborhoods, volunteer organizations etc.  Get your story ready of what your service is and tell them what you do.

Muppet –

Good for YOU!!, since you have been so successful with job boards why don’t you share what your secret to success is and what boards you have fared better on.  I am sure there are others out there who would like to know.

AnonX
Friday, August 06, 2004

If folks seriously don't know where the boards are, then they've more troubles than finding a job.

if you however, have more success getting jobs on handshakes and favors than on merit, then hey, more power to you.

muppet
Friday, August 06, 2004

Parks and malls?  Dude, there's making a point, then there's being preposterous.

OP:  Network at some developer user group events, JUG or such.

profound insights galore
Friday, August 06, 2004

How is flesh-networking inherently less meritocratic than bit-networking?

Kalani
Friday, August 06, 2004

Don't know, but every single incompetent asshole I ever had to work with got his job through personal connections, not some Interned job board.

Egor
Friday, August 06, 2004

How many incompetent assholes have you had to work with?

Kalani
Friday, August 06, 2004

Egor
Saturday, August 07, 2004

I also request you to used mosnter, and used to expertsexchange.com. Its fine. Aprt from this, you can do some contract work.

For me, I face this problem, and survibe to do contract work.

Thanks!
Populate

Himadrish Laha
Saturday, August 07, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home