Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Printing Postcards

One of my clients needs to print reminders on postcards through a custom program that was written for him by a different consultant.

I'm wondering if anyone has written any code to print postcards under Windows?  Or does anyone know of any code on the Internet that does this?  (Yes, I have checked Google but I must be using the wrong keywords.)

It can't be extremely complex.  The original program is a VB 6 program.  I know it sounds simple, but it seems I need to create a custom form for the printer and that the client will then need to feed each postcard by hand through the printer.  Yikes!

So if anyone has any experience with this or any tips, I would appreciate it.

Gary
Friday, August 06, 2004

Well I lied, I guess they can use the PostCards that come four to a sheet.  Which will probably make printing easier...

Gary
Friday, August 06, 2004

I haven't done it with Visual Basic, but I have used C++ to do it a few times. In C++ it's as straight forward as any windows printing, and should at least in theory work the same way in VB.  Just grab a device context and start laying down your text. Alternatively, compose your document into a Rich Text Edit and dump the output to the printer's device context.

To get rid of the hand feeding issue, see about laying your hands on an old dot matrix printer with the pin feed.  Pin feed postcards really simplify the feeding issues, especially if you're printing more than a dozen cards at a time. Then you'll output plain text to the printer, and control page breaks by counting lines.

Clay Dowling
Friday, August 06, 2004

Surely, outside of buying some hardware for your client's printer, he is going to have to feed them through one by one (I mean, software can do lots of things, but it can't replace physical actions). Now if it was electronic postcards...

What about services like those by Vodafone in the UK where you can send your photo and an address from your mobile phone and they generate and send a postcard for you? Could your client make use of a service like that instead of doing it all himself? There must be someone out there on the 'net who provides such a service...

Friday, August 06, 2004

amazingmail.com
I use them mostly to send digital picture postcards to people.
Dont know how it scales $$

moseswhitecotton
Friday, August 06, 2004

Clay,

Did you have to use a custom form for the printer or did you just use the default DC which is probably 8.5 x 11 and didn't it cause feeding issues because the printer would always think it was out of paper?  (i.e. You're feeding it a 3 x 5 and it thinks it has an 8.5 x 11)

Unfortunately, printing services are out of the question for this client.  They have an investment in this software and computer hardware/printer so they want to use it if it is feasible to do so.

Gary
Friday, August 06, 2004

They are using a laser printer.

Gary
Friday, August 06, 2004

Gary,

It's simply a report with four records per page.  Many reporting tools, such as ActiveReports, have templates or examples for doing exactly what you are trying to do using standard perforated card stock. 

Hallmark
Friday, August 06, 2004

http://enu.print.avery.com/usa/help.html

or download the free version of their software, Avery DesignPro.

jdm
Friday, August 06, 2004

Avery DesignPro has an easy to use mail merge.

jdm
Friday, August 06, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home