Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Great Hackers

Hey! I am a great hacker, I do fix bugs when theyre found, I do my best to listen to customers need, and I am ten times more productive than most "professional" developers I've been working with.
From what I have noticed so far, most profesionals are in the biz because of the money, and they hate it alot if they have to do some hours overtime to fix stuff that are broken and so on,
They never want to learn anything new if they don't get paid for it.

Well it is right. It is all about the money, but in the love for code and prductivity and so on, it s often crap.

sorry for bad english

Thomas

Thomas A
Friday, August 06, 2004

> most profesionals are in the biz because of the money

Actually I wouldn't mind betting that most are in the business because they once loved it but had it kicked out of them by stupid management. Or am I just cynical?

Friday, August 06, 2004

if you ask me, you're right one the money!

Guyon Morée
Friday, August 06, 2004

Yeah - I think Paul Grahams article was a little over the top. (And I'm a big Paul Graham fan <g>).

For Example
"One, the CTO couldn't be a first rate hacker, because to become an eminent NT developer he would have had to use NT voluntarily, multiple times, and I couldn't imagine a great hacker doing that; and two, even if he was good, he'd have a hard time hiring anyone good to work for him if the project had to be built on NT"

Now he doesn't mention the vintage of NT but even so this is a fairly bold statement.

Bruce Johnson
Friday, August 06, 2004

the VP at my old job was a great hacker.  it didn't matter how obscure a problem came up, he had some tidbit of knowledge on how to solve it, always leading us down the right path.

he spent most of the day doing research, doing very little actual development...

Kenny
Friday, August 06, 2004

>they once loved it but had it kicked out of them by stupid management

Post of the day.

I enjoy programming at home on my own projects but loath my job. It is more or less forbidden to attempt anything new.

It has also been made clear to me that I am forbidden to know anything about any project other than the legacy project that is my "responsibility".

dot for this one
Friday, August 06, 2004

"I am ten times more productive than most "professional" developers"

Btw, did you happened to  check if you were ten-times more full of you know what (poop)?  Just checking...

Steve-O
Saturday, August 07, 2004

"From what I have noticed so far, most profesionals are in the biz because of the money"

Yeah and you can add love of food, shelter, clothing, and personal life.  By the sound of it, I bet you probably live with your parents and have never lived on your own.

"They never want to learn anything new if they don't get paid for it."

Ah, a corporate altruist.  If you like you running a corporate welfare program and donate your time, then that's your perrogative.  Don't cast dispersions on fellow programmers who put a premium and value on their time.  You may be into corporate charity, but your company is definitely not.  Don't be suprised when your management in the future doesn't appreciate your all the free-time you have given them and shit-cans your arse for another "10x" altruistic productive programmer.

"It is all about the money, but in the love for code and prductivity and so on, it s often crap."

If you feel so strong about it, then be a man and donate your check back to the company.  By taking a check, your're just as guilty as those other money-grubbin programmers you work with. 

Steve-O
Saturday, August 07, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home