Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Logo design costs

The SoftwareCEO.com article Joel links to says that Joel spent about $600 on a designer to design the FogCreek logo.

For what he got, isn't that a lot of money? Seems like a pretty lame-ass logo to me.

Neanderthal man
Friday, August 06, 2004

What is the fog creek logo?

That tiny little link in the upper-left of the http://fogcreek.com page?

Wow, I paid $30 for mine. 

You would usually be able to see it at http://calebsoftware.com however the link is down at the moment.

Aussie Chick
Friday, August 06, 2004

Logos cost. For what it's worth, I think it was pretty darn cheap.

Friday, August 06, 2004

The logo is only a tiny part of the new look for the main FCS website. I think Joel got the main site designed as a freebie, in exchange for a favourable review, which is fair enough.

The website is pretty nice now, compared to the old version, but it'll be even better if/when Joel gets the rest of the site updated to the same look and feel.

Nemesis
Friday, August 06, 2004

You think that's bad - my old students union spent £10,000 (~$15,000, at the time) on a badlu drawn 'U', and then a further £30,000 on changing all the existing logos over to it.

$600 seems a reasonable fee for a logo.

Mr Jack
Friday, August 06, 2004

This kind of job should have taken a professional designer less than an hour. If he was offered 5-6 designs to choose from, it might have been reasonable. But for a single logo variant it's apparently just through the roof.

Egor
Friday, August 06, 2004

The only thing that matters is whether the client, in this case Joel, thinks it worth the money.

Simon Lucy
Friday, August 06, 2004

I agree a logo like that may have cost the designer a max of 2 hours to create, but how does one measure the time it takes to come up with an idea to go further with?

how does one take this into account with pricing?

Guyon Morée
Friday, August 06, 2004

The point is that the logo is a tiny, though important, part of the overall corporate branding.

The design of everything else flows from that little bitty logo. At least it will, once the website is updated fully.

Nemesis
Friday, August 06, 2004

Here's the thing.  If you can recognize a good logo when you see it, you can get one for a lot cheaper.  Nike bought the swoosh from a college art student for $37, or so the story goes.  You can also hire a graphic logo designer to come up with samples and matched business stationery, etc, which costs $500 or so, depending on who you hire and how much support staff they have.  However, if you want a logo that is SURE to be recognizeable to everyone, hire an artist (like myself).  Apple did that to get the original color-striped apple logo, which they claim they paid "a ton of money" for.  However, it paid off -- that apple is a very recognizeable and meaningful symbol for the company.   

sir_flexalot
Friday, August 06, 2004

Not everybody can be Paul Rand. (IBM, ABC, UPS). or Landor Associates (FedEx, Xerox). But maybe we can all be a Sam Sherwood ( http://www.ruddyseal.com/ , http://www.beomni.com/ , http://www.fogcreek.com ) whoever he is.

Does the wavy line in a box say Fog Creek to you? If you saw it on the side of a truck without the text, would you recognize it? What kind of feeling does it evoke?

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, August 06, 2004

DesignOutpost is an interesting website where you offer a "pot" to whichever graphic designer comes up with the logo you want.  Then you get 4 or 5 of them competing to win the pot, which is whatever you want it to be, usually between $50 to $200.  You get immediate feedback from them and can direct their development in any way you want. 

They also have competitions for web site templates and a few other things.  There are some talented people designing logos there.  And you can review previous competitions and portfolios to get an idea of what quality of logo you're likely to end up with.  I got one I like for $50.

http://www.designoutpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=62d33f58eeb7692922424f2ddc69ce6b&forumid=9

Herbert Sitz
Friday, August 06, 2004

All this sniping is getting tiring, because the original question, when analyzed, reads a little different:

(original quote)
---
The SoftwareCEO.com article Joel links to says that Joel spent about $600 on a designer to design the FogCreek logo.

For what he got, isn't that a lot of money? Seems like a pretty lame-ass logo to me.
---

(paraphrased quote)
---
WOW WHAT A HUGE MISTAKE JOEL MADE.  HE MUST BE SOME KIND OF IDIOT.
---

This leads to some of the regulars defending Joel from the (paraphrased) question, and then others arguing over the (actual) question, and then mixing of the two arguments.  So it's getting tiring, so stop already.  Thanks.

Pete
PS--If you want to actually ask the (actual) question about logo design, put in some sort of disclaimer that says you're not attacking Joel, or at least write with a tone that does NOT indicate you want to punch Joel in the face.

pds
Friday, August 06, 2004

Ironic that some of us may have read that "$50-200 for a logo at Design Outpost" and thought, wow, expensive.

It does take 2 hours to *draw* the thing, but an indeterminate amount of time to think it up.

Perhaps we can see a parallel to "another" profession? ;)

My mother happens to be a graphic artists, it's hard and slow, as any creative work.

Alex
Friday, August 06, 2004

My company has changed logos twice in the past five years for marketing reasons.
Each time every report with the old logo had to be changed to the new.  Signs changed, web sites changed, business cards reprinted, etc. 
The design cost of the logo was nothing compared to the implementation cost.  Maybe we should have spent more money on the design the first time . . .

bw
Friday, August 06, 2004

>> My mother happens to be a graphic artists, it's hard and slow, as any creative work.

My wife is a painter - she charges $800 - $1200 for a painting - it's about a days work per painting, plus a couple hours more to put a frame on if customer so desires.

She's also got a MFA and has been painting for 15 years.

You pay for skill.

I had gum surgery. The actual surgery lasted about 5 minutes. Why: Because the periodontist KNEW WHAT HE WAS DOING. Worth the money.

Support Your Local Artist
Friday, August 06, 2004

Don't bother with the logo too much at the beginning,
go for the cheapest stuffs around, that's Microsoft Word,
change the fonts to Tahoma or something funky
and there you've a sweet logo

Ikari
Friday, August 06, 2004

That design outpost link is great.

It is so interesting just looking at the way it works.
Someone posts a description of their company, then heaps of guys just start posting their ideas.

It is like walking through a commercial art gallery.

I would enjoy going to a real art gallery displaying this sort of exhibit. lots of semi-professionals all doing something based on the same theme.

Aussie chick
Friday, August 06, 2004

"Drawn in an hour"? How many designers can sit down and in 1-hour come up with a logo that the client is happy with? who knows how many revisions, comps, font changes, color changes, tweaks etc were done in order to wind up with the "perfect" logo?

Besides, what exactly does a logo do? It (along with all your supporting materials) is your salesman when you can't be there to talk up your company. It gives a company an edge by making you look serious, professional, mature, stable. $600 for a proper logo is a bargain.

Mike
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home