Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Blogs, avalon, gmail, 802.b11, texting, iTune

These are just a small selection of the various cool ideas that came out with the help of the internet. I don't see how blogs will change the world, you don't see it on every phone in asia (as you would with wireless email), but I see how it is a very important mode of social interaction (and as long we need great social interactions we'll need blogs)

I am wondering what you think are some of the greatest offshoot technology of the internet and why you think they will make a difference in the future. What do you think will make it big and why? Please spend a little time on why you think its success is absolutely unavoidable. Thanks!

Li-fan Chen
Thursday, August 05, 2004

This question is pointless unless you define "greatest" and "success".

dodee
Friday, August 06, 2004

VOIP VOIP VOIP VOIP VOIP
(woops, I was shouting)
voip voip voip voip
voip voip voip voip
voip voip voip voip
voip with photos
voip with photos and sound
voip with moving photos and sound
voip with interactive movies
voip with spam
voip with NO PATENTS! (This is prior art).
voip with online polling
voip with online bridge tounaments
voip with muzak on hold

trollop
Friday, August 06, 2004

The 2003 Hugo award-winning novel (_Hominids_ by Sayer) suggests that it wil be when people (not just computers) are networked: together with GPS, that (knowing where everyone is all the time) would spell the end of violent crime.

Christopher Wells
Friday, August 06, 2004

> Sayer
Sawyer

Christopher Wells
Friday, August 06, 2004

I think blogging and internet radio could be major factor in shaping public opinion in years to come.

The 20th century was the age of the propoganda machine - as the years progressed, the message became more and more centralized, newspapers, television stations, and radio are no longer local, and they're all owned by a handful of people.

The internet can reverse this trend. Someone line Instapundit who gets thousands of hits a day (for all I know he gets millions) and can actually shape public opinion.

Someone's crackpot theory in 2001 could become a blockbuster documentary in 2004 and affect an election.

I mean, if ZDNet actually quoted me (as "Fog Creek Bloggers") as a credible news source, and I crack a story about BN.com on my website and it spreads to Wired, and if one +5 Interesting comment on Slashdot is read by millions, and "Google it" is a popular phrase on sitcoms, I'd say the power of the internet is about to come of age.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, August 06, 2004

How is texting an offshoot of the Internet?

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)
Friday, August 06, 2004

>>> The Internet can reverse this trend. Someone line Instapundit who gets thousands of hits a day (for all I know he gets millions) and can actually shape public opinion.

Except that once large businesses understand how to "game" the Internet they will find a way around the little guys.

For example, the Internet was supposed to make it easy for anyone to sell goods on the Internet.  What it did do is prove the importance of "branding."  Consumers could then find a "trusted" vendor on the Internet instead a fly-by-night operation.  The noise floor of the Internet is very high since the cost of entry is so low.  Also, I can see large corporations being able to sow confusion by creating a large number of fake blogs.

As time goes on I can see people gravitating back to media conglomerates b/c a.) they will adapt to be more appealing to Internet users and b.) will find a way to sponsor certain blogs surreptitiously and get their news story out that way.  At some point money will find a way to reclaim power in this new medium.

full name:
Friday, August 06, 2004

Teenage priapism

Just me (Sir to you)
Friday, August 06, 2004

" (knowing where everyone is all the time) would spell the end of violent crime"

How so?

Just visit a crowded market somewhere. You can see where everyone is. But pick-pocketing happens. Violent crime happens. Heck, most violent crime is done by people who know eachother anyway.

And networking? Expand the example above. When I first read about flash mobs, it was some time *after* having read about a use of text messages in Brazil: scout watches for easy marks leaving hotel, texts squad of child thieves, who descend like a flash mob, steal everything from the mark, then disperse.

mb
Friday, August 06, 2004

> How so?

I can't answer that without "spoilers" from the novel.

Christopher Wells
Friday, August 06, 2004

And when the trusted brand is Froogle? Or Amazon? or eBay? You know just about anyone can submit their catalog to Froogle, or sell on Amazon or eBay.

And when some bloggers won't be bought, but still gain popularity? When anyone can say anything on Slashdot and millions of people can read it?

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, August 06, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home