Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

ISV owners - Do you still program?

For those of you that own your own software-related businesses: How much of your time you spend doing technical work as compared other tasks (managing your employees, marketing, self-promotion, accounting, etc.)  Do you do any programming at all yourself anymore?

Presumably you were attracted to your profession because you enjoyed programming.  Now that you're a business owner, has this been crowded out by other tasks, and do you still enjoy your career as much as before?

Lee
Thursday, August 05, 2004

Some people tell time. Some people write programs that tell time. Some people build tools that help people write time-telling programs. And some people build companies that do one or more of those.

I'm an ISV owner. I still do all our coding, but the programs are done, so I spend more time on marketing, sales, etc.

We are hiring our first programmer soon, though.

Mr.Analogy

Yes, I enjoy my career at least as much as before. IN fact, that's why we're hiring a programmer - to give me more time for higher level activities (design, marketing, etc.)

Mr.Analogy

I'm just starting out doing some side work while still working fulltime.  I've had a few small sales and custom jobs, but nothing major yet, so I do *all* of the coding at this point.

Last year, my goal was to replace 10% of my income and I made it.  This year is 25%...

KC

Mine is a small company with a turnover that would not match the salary of a typical developer. Inspite of that I dont find to code. Though coding was my passion , I dont think I am upto it now. As Joel say, it is very difficult to get into the zone now. There are collections to be made,  hires to be made, fires to be done , hardware to be upgraded everything...
Hence the max that I do for our product is to do a round of usability testing and nothing else....

Mr OwnComp
Friday, August 06, 2004

Yes I still program.

The main issue is to come up with a good productivity and ensure a flow of cash to keep us alive.
Partnering and meeting customers/prospects also eats a significant part of our time.

RedFox
Friday, August 06, 2004

Yeah, too right, I still do development. One of my motivations for starting my ISV was that I wanted to be able to do product design and development, it wasn't just to make more money, although that is a happy by-product.

I love design and development, which is my strongest suit, but I also quite like the business management too, as I have no background in it, so it pleases me when I can pull it off.

Nemesis
Friday, August 06, 2004

I used to be the only programmer in my ISV. Now, it's grown to 3 fulltime coders, but I still have to stick around on the weekend from time to time to do some coding.

Very unfortunate, since I enjoy the Marketing, Planning etc. much more.

mostly harmless
Friday, August 06, 2004

I had some programmers, so I could spend more time running the business and selling. I found out that I am a great programmer and a poor salesman, I love programming and hate sales. Now I do all the application programming, and as little sales as possible. I am happier, but our sales are less.

Minotaur
Monday, August 09, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home