Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Munich puts Linux on hold

http://www.expatica.com/source/site_article.asp?subchannel_id=52&story_id=10278

The reason (pretext?) is the coming software patent law that is about to hit us (Europe).

On a side note, this patent thing just goes to show that filling the pockets of spineless politicians works everywhere.

Paulo Caetano
Thursday, August 05, 2004

FUD

Karel Thönissen (www.garabit.nl)

Note that this was initiated by the OSS lobby itself. They want to leverage the Munich press-darling status to force a position on software patents.
As before, the whole Munich issue is purely political, and has nothing to do with any technology issues.

Just me (Sir to you)

"Note that this was initiated by the OSS lobby itself. They want to leverage the Munich press-darling status to force a position on software patents."

Yes, you may be rigth on this one.

Seems like a pretty desperate tactic to me. Lobbying is done with $$$, and patent holders are the ones with best prospects for this.

Paulo Caetano

Paulo,

no offense but your views on lobbying are way too simplistic. Money can buy you employees for your lobbying arm, or buy you operational funds, but their are plenty other means of getting there.
The OSS lobby is VERY strong in Europe.

Just me (Sir to you)

"no offense but your views on lobbying are way too simplistic."

None taken. I've never looked deeply into the subject, so I know my limitations.

Still, simplistic though they may be, reality doesn't seem to contradict them (my views, that is) - which means I could be wrong, or I could be right. The whole process of how the patent law is being passed here in Europe is suspicious, to say the least.

Paulo Caetano

Is that true, that the OSS lobby is using a Munich deferral for lobbying? Would anyone *care* what Munich did?

SCO inaugurated the patent FUD campaign, one of the last rescues of the dominating Software forces.
Patent FUD is here to stay, as well as Open Source is. So what? I ask myself. hehe.

Dewd

"Is that true, that the OSS lobby is using a Munich deferral for lobbying?"

The same people that argued and won the OSS in Munich are behind the deferral. They seem to be trying to put a public loss of face on the Munich decision in the balance to force the "headquarters" hand on the patents issues.

"Would anyone *care* what Munich did?"

Munich is THE European poster-child for OSS in administration.

Just me (Sir to you)

For a fun time reading about how lobbying and pr is not what you think it is, grab a copy of Trust us, we're experts.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1585421391/

Peter

SCO has absolutely nothing to do with patent law. Their case is based on alleged copyright violations.

genius

Uninformed, and probably wildly wrong, pro-Microsoft Conspiracy Theory: Munich's having a lot more trouble moving to Linux than they thought they would have, and the 'patent concerns' is just an attempt to make delaying look good.

Dave Rothgery

You are right about SCO not using patents, 'cause they didn't have any related to Unix:
http://www.cybersource.com.au/users/conz/linux_vs_sco_matrix.html
Anyway, everybody is acquiring patents nowadays, like a Cold War.

Dewd

> Munich's having a lot more trouble moving to Linux than they thought they would have, and the 'patent concerns' is just an attempt to make delaying look good.

Now that rings true. Blame it on patents.

Me

>> Munich's having a lot more trouble moving to Linux than they thought they would have, and the 'patent concerns' is just an attempt to make delaying look good.

Hum, that is most interesting. I just find it a bit strange that things are announced just a few days after the deadline for tenders?

<quote>
Tenders were to have been called at the end of last month for the "LiMux Base Client".
</quote>

Maybe they looked at the cost…and went ouch!  Then, they asked what do we get for this migration?

To be fair, I am not really sure if one can read much at all into this (it might be a delay tactic).

At any rate, the article does mention that the folks in Viennia are continuing ahead with their migration to Linux.

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com
http://www.attcanada.net/~kallal.msn

Albert D. Kallal

The Austrians are wacky.

Friday, August 06, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home