Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

e-commerce vs software salesman

I'm a software salesman and i'm just wondering if there's any of those ISV's who have their websites where clients do download their products. What percentage does the internet contribute to your business, and after downloads do your clients ever report back to you complainig about the online  tutorials.
In short do clients prefer to download softwares or get them off the shelves coz i believe that for you to download one you must know it best and how to use it.

ronald
Thursday, August 05, 2004

So let me get this straight, your assumption is salespeople's effort at educating customers are sure to provide better insight into an unsold software than automated tutorials.

In fact you may also be implicitly implying that even webcasts run by real salespeople/evangelists are inferior to door-to-door education by salespeople (although you aren't really saying that, are you?)

Although these are good assumption, it is no doubt a matter a cost/performance issue evaluated on a per software basis. To be more obvious, it depends on the sales program and the people involved.

From a retail point of view, most brick and morters on average derives 20% additional income after making a web site available. This is an oft quoted percentage--which is bad. I hope in this day and age most using this quote can come up with more accurate numbers, if not at least state more fine prints and cavets.

Li-fan Chen

Don't worry, your job is safe (unless it gets outsource of course). I prfer to look around on the web, maybe download trials, but then actually buy from a b&m shop. Why? Essentially then I can take it back without any hassle if the CD is faulty or something.

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home