Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Question configuring my IPOD

I have my mp3's stored in a folder heirarchy on my HD.
However, the app that you need to use to copy mp3s onto the IPOD doesn't seem to allow preserving this folder structure.  It just views each file as its own entity.  So if the file is not named exactly right, IPOD will not consider it as part of the original folder heirarchy. 

Is there any way to get around this?

I do NOT want to manually rename songs, just so they are identified as being w/ the correct band/album....

Thanks

Anon for today
Wednesday, August 04, 2004

"However, the app that you need to use to copy mp3s onto the IPOD doesn't seem to allow preserving this folder structure."

I believe the iPod doesn't have any concept of directory structure when dealing with music -- but I could be wrong, I don't own one.

"Is there any way to get around this? I do NOT want to manually rename songs, just so they are identified as being w/ the correct band/album...."

Most likely the iPod is using the directory structure and/or the ID3 tags to determine the song information.  There is a program called mp3bookhelper -- it's open source -- that will mass tag your files based on their name or rename based on the ID3 tag or a bunch of other operations.  I highly recommend.

You might also want to look at the iPod plugin for Winamp.

Almost Anonymous

Actually, this sounds like Winamp. once the files are in, they're in.

Winamp has an EXCELLENT ID3 tag renaming tool. If you got your mp3's from (ahem) multiple sources, use this.

www.MarkTAW.com

You can edit the files in iTunes. Right click and choose "Get Info" and it will display the current ID3 information and all you to edit it.

If you're looking for something besides iTunes to help you organize your music on your iPod, Google for Anapod Explorer or EphPod.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Thursday, August 05, 2004

My girlfriend has an iPod on Windows.

Winamp really has a good interface for editing ID3 tags. You can multiple select files & edit the artist, title, album, etc. on all of the selected files.

I believe MusicMatch Jukebox is better for the iPod because of the way it generates m3u (I believe that's the name) files. This is what iPod uses to create playlists, so this will let you create a playlist.

Google it a bit. Though I just tried and the first bunch of links were spammy.

www.MarkTAW.com

Or use the programs Brad recommended. :-)

www.MarkTAW.com

MarkTaw,
Exactly how do I get to the WinAmp ID# editor?
I want to mass update some tags...
I multi-selected a few files, but when I selected "File Info", I get an indiv. song name in the Name textfield.  This implies these fields are not for the entire group, but 1 song.  Theoretically, the "name" field should be deselected if I highlight more than 1 song.    B/c I only want to rename the group name, not rename all the songs to 1 song.

Anon for today

You can mass update songs in iTuens Win & Mac also. Just select them and hit ctrl-i or right click and select Get Info.

JWA

First of all, I'm using Winamp 5.

In the Media Library, when you select a group of songs, right click on them & select "Edit Selected Items"

And a box will come up:

Edit file info

21 item(s) selected

[ ] Artist ____
[ ] Title ____
[ ] Album ____

etc.

Check off "Artist" (for example), type in a name, and all of the files will have that artist.

www.MarkTAW.com

LOL, I'm running WinAmp 2.74  (if it ain't broke...)
Lemme update it, or try iTunes...
Thanks

Anon for today

I like Winamp 5, and knowing that it's a Justin Frankel thing, and not an AOL coder polyglot makes me feel good about it.

www.MarkTAW.com

Of course, as soon as he quit, they probably filled it with things like SIGN UP FOR AOL links that appear on your desktop when you install it. I think the last version he did was 5.0.

www.MarkTAW.com

Does changing the ID3 tag inside iTunes change the underlying mp3 file,  or just it's "proxy" representation in iTunes library?  ie: If I edit the ID3, delete my library, and re-add the mp3 it to the library, will the update remain?

Anon for today

Nevermind,  Yes, it modify's the underlying mp3

Anon for today

This $#%@! "library" concept is annoying as hell to say the least.  This iTunes app seems like a piece of shit. 

I have a folder structure like this....

band1/album1/
band1/album2/
band1/album3/
band1/album4/

Now, I've already added the entire band1/ folder to my library, and bulk edited the ID3 file to properly associate the band...

Now, I need to associate each folder to the right album name...i CLEAR out my library,  and drag in band1/album1/
folder.  However, it does some long winded FILE COPY.  What the hell is it trying to do??  This takes forever.,  I just want to isolate the band1/album1/  files,  enter the album name, and be done with it ....

Any hints?
THANKS!!!!

Anon for today

Oh, I'm using iTunes to edit the ID3's , b/c winAmp5 is slow as hell.  Each mp3 takes 10 seconds to update.  Unacceptable.  No idea what it's doing....maybe rewriting the entire file...

Anon for today

I have used WMP (Windows Media Player) to edit the ID3s . Wasn't slow and you could edit a whole album at once.

Also when you import the files into the library you can tell it to leave the files were they are.

DJ

Maybe. Winamp would have to load the whole file to edit the ID3 tag, iTunes could simply tell the iPod to do it. USB2 should be fast enough that it wouldn't take so long though.

Sounds like you're at least aware of your options now. Since I don't actually own an iPod myself, I think I'm done with advice. Good luck.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, August 06, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home