Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Question for Joel on the SoftwareCEO article

Did you actually meet the guy face to face who "interviewed" you, was it done by email, or did you simply turn in a manuscript? If so, was this a paid placement?

Sorry to ask some sticky questions, but I do know just a bit about how these kinds of things usually work.

Mitch & Murray (from Downtown)
Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Since, in the article, Joel claims not to do that sort of advertising, it must not have been a paid placement.

On the other hand, you may choose not to believe the interview, in which case I wonder how you could believe any response he might give to your question.

Tim

I'm sorry, the "interviewer" asked a question?

www.MarkTAW.com

The only problem I had with the article is that that they quote Joel as saying that he hates "lazy journalism" when they reference one of his articles and publish it as if it were an interview.

And then on the next page they quote his bionic office article in the very manner he describes above as "lazy journalism".  I actually don't think it's such a bad thing to cite Joel's articles in a 'lazy' manner--but I would be VERY careful not to do so after typing up this direct quote:

---
"Usually journalists don't ask if they can quote me. Some will just read my articles online and steal the ideas without attributing them to me. Some will quote me as though they phoned when they didn't, which I think is lazy journalism. And a few will actually phone and talk to me."
---

and then types up:
---
Contrarian insight #12: Set your price under $3,000 or over $100,000; anything in-between is a dead zone.
---
That sound familiar?  Was that part of the interview, or did they just "quote him as though they phoned when they didn't?"

pds
Thursday, August 05, 2004

You seriously believe he'd point to them from the frontpage if he didn' like the piece?

Just me (Sir to you)

It was a phone interview ... almost two hours, I think, and it was not a "paid placement."

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software

I can understand that every time Joel does something like this somebody pops up and says, "Hey, maybe Joel paid them to do that" or "Joel only got that deal because of his successful web site" or even "Joel is using that software in a way the company didn't intend, and that's not ethical."

But why is it always Mitch & Murray (from downtown)?

?

>> But why is it always Mitch & Murray (from downtown)?

Because their the ones with the Glengarry leads. And to you, they're gold. And you don't get them. Because to give them to you is just throwing them away.  They're for closers.

Blake

Well done Blake!

Mitch & Murray are always the ones asking the sticky questions because M&M Co. has been an ISV for 17 years, and I've seen just about every kind of marketing and reseller deal ever known to the ISV community. 

Oh yes, and my PR/BS alarm is finely tuned.

OK you smarty pants types, who knows what a "Spiff" is in the context of software sales, or any kind of sales for that matter?  Show old M&M that you are all super-smart shoppers, and that you can smell a Spiff a mile away.

I'm sure Joel knows what a Spiff is, as I'm sure Programmer's Paradise, when they were reselling his stuff, asked him if he wanted to sponsor one.  Right?

BTW, to you non-closers:

"PUT THAT COFFEE DOWN!".

Check the NPR web site for an interview on "Fresh Air" with Alec Baldwin discussing his uncredited part in GG-GR where he gives the sales troups a bit of a pep talk.  Absolutely amazing hearing him discussing that scene.

Friday, August 06, 2004

Spaceman Spiff is Calvin's spacefaring alter ego.

http://www.davescoolwebpage.com/spiff.htm

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, August 06, 2004

M&M you are truly showing your age more than your wisdom. This is the Google age man, wake up!

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-spi2.htm

Just me (Sir to you)
Friday, August 06, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home