Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Any TIPS to be a great TEACHER!!!!

What did you liked most about your Teacher's/Teacher during the school days?

Did you had a Teacher, whom you love and respect the most even today, and you think he/she changed your life for better?

Thanks!

Have had one such Teacher: A beautiful person!!!!
Wednesday, August 04, 2004

I had a discussion about exactly this subject recently with someone I went to school with.

We found out that _now_, that is more than 10 years after leaving that school, we appreciate most our math teacher for the following reason: He had a schedule. He always knew, what would come next, and why it was important. He cared about dependencies. And he was strict.

But had you asked the same question while we were still at school, I had said that his class was boring, mind you.

René Nyffenegger

IMHO, good teachers encourage students to do "better" and are interested in their subject; bad teachers berade students for doing "poorly" and seem bored by the material themselves.

sir_flexalot

not exactly a tip but:

having genuine passion for the subject one is teaching.

Kenny

1. Care about your students.
That includes caring about them working hard and learning.

2. Encourage them to think, solve problems, etc.

3. Make the material relevent to the student's world.

4. High expectations for the student is capable of.

My calculus teacher, one of my favorites, didn't do this but luckily, I was getting into programming at the tender age of 14 and saw for myself the benefit of algebra when doing graphics programming.

IN A NUTSHELL
If a student can experience, just once at least, the power that book knowledge can have a REAL and SIGNIFICANT impact on their real life, they start looking for OTHER subjects to replicate that with. 

If that is all you ever do for a student, you've done the single MOST IMPORTANT thing. But it ain't easy.

I can count on one hand the number of times that happened in class:

a. Calculus  ("thanks Mrs. Terrebonne. I was so happy when I learned you were still alive <g>")

b. Film as Literature ("Thanks to Mr. Frank Levy")

c. Statics Engineering in college (Thanks Dr. Hibbler).

d. Boolean Algebra in Digital Enginering: Dr. Huner.

Mr.Analogy

On Nip/Tuck this one hottie offered sex for grades.

More teachers should do that.

Clutch Cargo

You can talk all day but if you don't speak in a way the students will learn, then they won't get it.

My suggestion, is to read a book on the psychology of learning.  Everyone learns differently.  Once you have an idea of how different people learn, try to get to know your students to see how they specifically learn.

Then tailor your lectures to your specific class.  You might have to repeat some things over in different ways to cover everyone, but everyone will be able to follow along.

Andrew Hurst

Great question although not particularly related to software.  Here is my recipe for dull mindless children. If you want  whole, well rounded children, as I suspect we all do, just contradict these stages in the formula:

1. Remove children from the business of the world until time has passed for them to learn how to self-teach.

2. Age-grade them so that past and future both are muted and become irrelevant.

3. Take all religion out of their lives except the hidden civil religion of appetite, and positive/negative reinforcement schedules.

4. Remove all significant functions from home and family life except its role as dormitory and casual companionship. Make parents unpaid agents of the State; recruit them into partnerships to monitor the conformity of children to an official agenda.

5. Keep children under surveillance every minute from dawn to dusk. Give no private space or time. Fill time with collective activities. Record behavior quantitatively.

6. Addict the young to machinery and electronic displays. Teach that these are desirable to recreation and learning both.

7. Use designed games and commercial entertainment to teach preplanned habits, attitudes, and language usage.

8. Pair the selling of merchandise with attractive females in their prime childbearing years so that the valences of lovemaking and mothering can be transferred intact to the goods vended.

9. Remove as much private ritual as possible from young lives, such as the rituals of food preparation and family dining.

10. Keep both parents employed with the business of strangers. Discourage independent livelihoods with low start-up costs. Make labor for others and outside obligations first priority, self-development second.

11. Grade, evaluate, and assess children constantly and publicly. Begin early. Make sure everyone knows his or her rank.

12. Honor the highly graded. Keep grading and real world accomplishment as strictly separate as possible so that a false meritocracy, dependent on the support of authority to continue, is created. Push the most independent kids to the margin; do not tolerate real argument.

13. Forbid the efficient transmission of useful knowledge, such as how to build a house, repair a car, make a dress.

14. Reward dependency in many forms. Call it "teamwork."

15. Establish visually degraded group environments called "schools" and arrange mass movements through these environments at regular intervals. Encourage a level of fluctuating noise (aperiodic negative reinforcement) so that concentration, habits of civil discourse, and intellectual investigation are gradually extinguished from the behavioral repertoire.

from John Taylor Gatto's book "Underground History of American Education"

Good teachers:
- Know their subject
- Are demanding
- Go to lengths to ensure that difficult material is understood, but not such great lengths that you lose the interest of those who "get it".

Bad idea:
- Team based projects.  They try to emulate the real world, but can't effectively due to differences in accountability standards and logistics. I've been screwed by these before when one person doesn't pull their weight.

Yet another anon

Since I am studying to become a teacher, I have been thinking about this alot lately.

I had some very interesting teachers.

My Ag (agriculture) teacher.
He was harsh. Girls lined up on one side and boys on the other. We entered the room quietly, no talking. He would ask questions and say "Hands up, or stand up". If you put your hand up and got the question wrong you had to stand up anyway. Once up you had to answer a question correctly before you sat down, and there were horrid rumours about what happened if you were left standing at the end of the lesson. ie Writing an essay on the topic 'the inside of a ping pong ball'. We hated him. Yet he also gave out the most merit awards of any teacher, and looking back I still remember so much of the stuff I learnt in the class.

My yr12 Chem teacher:
I first met him about a third of the way into our Chem class. He came in swore, told a joke, marked the roll, picked up the daily announcements (sent down on paper by the office), circled all the errors and then had someone take it back to the office. Then he left the room.
Twice he wrote on the blackboard, only because we were in trouble. Mostly he told us what we needed to learn, and then left us to learn it.
Most memorable is the way we studied nuclear chemistry. He divided the class up into groups of three. The teams had to go write questions, we would then face of the other team. Team A asked 5 questions to team B, Team B then asked five questions to Team A. For about a week we went through elimination rounds. I don't think I remember studyin y or doing any homework that year, but I was determined to win that medal. And of course I did, this may be why I thought that that method was so great.

My yr11 Comp Sci teacher:
He taught us about mind maps, and used to sometimes play some classical music to encourage our study. You could tell he was exploring how people learn best.
He didn't do anything special, but he taught well, and always had intersting ideas.

My yr11 Math teacher:
Again just an ordinary math teacher, when he handed back assignments/tests he would always read out the top 5 students, and then shuffle the rest of the papers. There were only 15 of us in the class, so it was a fair race to try to get into the top 5.

The career advisor in gr12.
She pushed me to do harder subjects, and her push made me achieve higher

My gr12 Math teacher:
Who embarrased me in front of the whole class. I was so shy at that school, it was my third school that year, and I was having all sorts of problems at home. When I get nervous I always need to go to the toilet, and this school was the worst time of my life. I would go to the toilet every half an hour. I don't know why, it sounds a lot weirder then I really am. I am surprised I was never teased about it (they were to busy picking on me for  being a Christian I think). I went out in the middle of a lesson once, when the teacher had left the room. When I got back (thankfully the classroom was empty), he told me in no uncertain terms 'if you have a bladder problem bring a note'. My gosh I was a young kid with huge issues, have some compassion. This was the guy who also told the soon-to-be-dux (ie the smartest kid in the school) that me getting a distinction in the state-wide math test (the only certificate awarded to anyone in the school mind you) meant absolutely nothing. The same teacher that dragged me out of my final maths exam to give me the award in front of the school assembly.
Talk about a good way to fail an exam.

Oh wait, ignore my last one, we were talking about good teachers?

I went to 23 schools, I have had alot of teachers.
The best ones were the ones who believed in me, and took an interest. Who saw past any occasional misbehaviour, and pushed me a bit.

Aussie chick

>My suggestion, is to read a book on the psychology of learning.  Everyone learns differently.  Once you have an idea of how different people learn, try to get to know your students to see how they specifically learn.

Its called 'pedagogy', that is the art/science of teaching.

One of the important things when learning all of this is to discuss what good teachers have done for you. No matter how much pedagogy you read, you are still the person teaching and your methods will be different to the next persons.

Aussie chick

Before the end of the class, try to show the students what they can do with the stuff they are learning in the class. If you do it around mid-terms, you can energize at least a couple of students to bring themselves up around 2 letter grades. You might want to budget $30-50 of your own pocket money for photocopying stuff for handouts to do this.

Peter

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home