Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

E-Myth

I've started reading Michael Gerber's E-Myth. So far he's come up with sound advice. I guess I am wondering what this forum think about this over-hyped book.

thanks!

I am voting for Cosmo Kramer
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Crap..!

Ramachandra Pisharody
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

It's not just a book, it's an entire industry. You can even get accredited as a consultant in it.

The basic concepts are good but if you're smart enough to implement them then I don't think you need all the extra stuff they try to sell you off the back of it.

Ross
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

I read "E-Myth" many years ago.  If I recall correctly, the author advocates creating standardized processes that can be used to create turn-key franchise style businesses.  I think that's fine for certain businesses and industries, but I don't believe all businesses fit into his model.  I think, as you've stated, the book is over-hyped.  It seems to be one of those books that appeals to the innate herd mentality.

I've read numerous business books and I have to say that a lot of the really good information on running a software business is freely available form Eric Sink and JOS, as well as other blog sites.

Ewan's Dad
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Some people are time-tellers. Some people are watch builders. Some people build factories that build watches.

The idea of working "on your business" instead of "in" your business is a good one.

I.e., it's analagous to automated testing.

Once you view testing as just another job to be automated by software (as much as possible*) then you automate that and save lots of time and money. That lets your company grow b/c you now have more time.

* Before the "you can't automate all testing" folks get started: I'm referring to basic testing. Does the function load the datat file right?  Does it process data correctly?
There are MANY (mostly GUI and useability) things that can not be automated. But a LOT can be automated.)

Mr.Analogy
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Excellent book.

Don't take it too seriously.

Don't take any book too seriously.

Eric Sink
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Funny, I was in the book store last night & looking at this book. I'd seen it recommended in half a dozen places & was thinking of picking it up. But didn't. Maybe one day I'll get around to reading it.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

The E-myth in a nutshell:

* Most people who start businesses aren't businesspeople, they're "technicians" (i.e. people with a skill)

* As a result, they go through rather predictable problems, such as limits to growth, staffing problems, marketing problems, etc.

* Solution: as a business owner, your job is to run the business, which is *not* the same thing as doing the work of the business.  It's more design, less implementation.

Of course, most of Christianity can be summed up in a couple of short phrases like "love thy neighbor", too.  It's the *doing it* part that's complicated.  :)

Phillip J. Eby
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Hmmm. I wonder how many businesses started by businessmen v. businesses started by technicians succeed. I would imagine the two skill sets are complimentary, and not mutually exclusive.

The technician has the ability to do what's needed for the business, but has hard time delegating if and when it's time to delegate. But the businessman can only delegate because he has none of the skills required to make the business work.

I'll read it eventually. Right now I'm too busy working on my business to theorize about what I can pay someone else to do. ;-)

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, August 04, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home