Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Does Coder 2 Dev makes you mediocre?

I'm wondering where the recent "coders should be developers" rant in the last 2 years will lead to.

As more and more pressure is put on the dev, to make his unit tests, check spec, make sure we understand the client, keep up with the technologies, daily builds, design patterns, code metrics, fxcop, etc, etc, etc he will simply put too much energy into these and at the end cannot be a special animal in his own area.

Monday, August 02, 2004

uh..

how can you consider yourself a coder if you're not competent in all of those things?  You can't simply write code blindly

muppet
Monday, August 02, 2004

It's a simple thing...

A coder who doesn't interact with the client, communicate requirements, etc is someone who might as well be in India.

A developer who interacts with the clients, evaluates needs, makes solid recommendations, and works towards the clients' goals is someone who the client will *FIGHT* for.

I have three different groups who love me at work.  I've busted my ass to keep their projects on schedule, clarify and fulfill their requirements, and to keep them informed.  They're the first ones who scream when my boss temporarily assigns me to another project.

KC
Monday, August 02, 2004

Mr Modest Mouse - how about some of your own medicine...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001M7P78/qid=1091485586/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/002-6382613-8128060?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

TheGeezer
Monday, August 02, 2004

D'oh - wrong thread! 

:-&

(now slipping quietly away to grab a coffee..)

TheGeezer
Monday, August 02, 2004

KC has a good point. Nobody in India, Pakistan, Russia, etc can ever compete with this.

Let's face it, they only compete on price, but everyone in business knows you get what you pay for.

Any company that doesn't see the distinction between a true developer and a code-monkey should probably re-locate their entire operation to India.

Nemesis
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

er,  looks like they have. Munge this.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/07/23/1090464838427.html

There's plenty of others, as you are probably aware.  So I hazard that if you don't have client-facing skills, or 110% attention on deliverables, you may not be able to support a pure coding lifestyle in your preferred timezone.

trollop
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

>  they only compete on price, but everyone in business knows you get what you pay for

Unfortunately for you, given the shortsightedness of typical company management ("how much can I raise the share price this week") they only care about price because this makes them seem more profitable this year. What happens next year is someone else's problem since by then the bosses have cashed in their share options at the inflated price.

Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Managers are accountable like everyone else.

Even if they can cut costs by 50%, if they can't get the product out the door and/or tick off their clients, they're going to be screwed.

KC
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

When "screwed" means cashing out a big severance package, they won't worry about that.

NoName
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Coder or developer?  This is simply the most recent of a long line of "two groups" divisions that people like to invent with one group being good (developers) and one group being bad (coders).  Other divisions have been engineer/coder, architect/coder, developer/staff.

Making yourself well-rounded is all fine and good but, at some point, being a "super" employee just stops making sense.  For example, suppose that you were a "super-developer", a person who could do marketing, sales, development, legal, management, payroll, HR, financing and accounting.  You were so great that you provided all the talent, money and effort needed to build the business from scratch.  In fact, you were so good that all your boss has to do is pick up a check once a month with the profits from the business.  He'd love that.

But, if you had all that and could do all that, I'd have to wonder why you don't run your own company rather than working for somebody else.  At some point, you've got to draw the line and say, "Hey, boss, the reason that I work for you and not for myself is because I don't want to do X."

But it really benefits you if you can do more.  Not to be valuable to your employer but to be valuable to yourself.

Daniel Howard
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home