Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

The Village is a hit

$50.8 million at the box officein one week.

So much for those who said this movie was a terrible in this forum.  I dont doubt his views. But admire Manoj Nights business logic.

California, i assume has the largest number of businesses based on the fact that mankind consists of cretins.

We include both Software and Hollywood.

Karthik
Monday, August 02, 2004

I've seen a number of movies that had GREAT hype & previews. I sometimes wish the guy who edited the previews edited some of the movies I've seen.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, August 02, 2004

I've found that the true key to enjoying a movie is the level of expectation going in.  Ever see Blade?  I almost didn't.  I can't stand Wesley Snipes.  Being out-voted, I saw it at a $1 theater in town.  I couldn't have been happier!  It was mediocre!

I liked all of Night's films, even the one's everybody hates (to those who hated unbreakable, did you collect comic books?  Just curious.)

That being said, I thought the previews for The Village looked terrible.  Which means I'll probably like it.

Pseudo Masochist
Monday, August 02, 2004

"$50.8 million at the box officein one week.

So much for those who said this movie was a terrible in this forum."

Huh?  Since when have terrible movies not made a lot of money?

Robert
Monday, August 02, 2004

popular != good
$50 million box office != good

M. Night Shammalamma
Monday, August 02, 2004

My wife went to see it on Sat afternoon. She liked it, but I'm sure I would have hated it. M. Night does a great job of crafting movies, but i think his story ideas are pretty weak.

I didn't see unbreakable except odd bits. I saw Signs. If I could get over the fact I thought the premise was idiotic, it would have been a good movie. Aliens need to make crop circles? What kind of alien travels across millions of miles of space and can't come out of the rain.

MilesArcher
Monday, August 02, 2004

It was interesting to me that ABC, for the three weeks leading up to The Village, ran "The Sixth Sense", then "Signs" (which WAS a dumb movie), then "Unbreakable", and took the opportunity in all three to run 7 minute pre-views of "The Village".  Oh, and all three showings were hosted by M. Night S. himself. -- along with little 'making of' spots.

I had never seen such extreme self-promotion.  Today I hear that "The Village" is actually a Disney movie -- owners of the ABC network.  It certainly didn't have the Disney 'rainbow' over it.

Also interesting to me is that, having seen the theatrical trailers in the movies, I would NEVER have gone to see "The Village".  The movie trailers (on other movies) pounded on the idea that it was solely a scary, eerie horror movie.  (eerie, yes, but horror, no).

However, having seen the version of "Sixth Sense", and watched "Unbreakable" for the first time, and having gotten M. Night's perspective on his own movie, AND having found out that Sigourney Weaver was in it, I thought I would give it a shot.

It was surprisingly good.  So, I guess Disney's "gamble" paid off, and re-running all M. Night's earlier movies as an advertisement for "The Village" got enough people curious as to the reality that they plunked down $50 Mil. 

I'm a little concerned that this advertising approach could catch on -- it is awfully self-serving and a conflict of interest.  Couldn't they just have made better trailers, that mentioned love, and innocence, and devotion?

AllanL5
Monday, August 02, 2004

"$50.8 million at the box officein one week."

So what.  How many other flops have a first big weekend?  Answer:  Most of them.

It will be out on dvd in 6 months or less.

Mike
Monday, August 02, 2004

> $50 million box office != good

Hold on.... $50 million is almost always good.

I saw unbreakable, and I though it was even worse than Signs.

Lots of local stations will air other-movies-by-or-starring just before a big movie comes out, and I've seen plenty of "Hi, let me host this old movie & tell you about my new movie" around.

The most violent movie to actually wear the Disney monicker was Pirates of the Carribean. The Village is under the Touchstone Pictures label.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, August 02, 2004

"I'm a little concerned that this advertising approach could catch on -- it is awfully self-serving and a conflict of interest."

What conflict of interest?  What do you think the purpose of advertising a movie (or any product) is about?  It's all self-serving in the end.  Where's the big harm at?

Steve-O
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

AllanL5 - don't get too hooked on the "Disney" moniker - if you want to be technical, Pulp fiction was a Disney movie... it was distributed by Miramax shortly after Disney completed its aquisition.

Having worked at WDW, and spent more time there than any non-Cast Member can without going totally broke, the one thing that Disney does well, and eventually too well, is Marketing - they just don't know when enough is enough.

Greg Hurlman
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

The first weekend is the response to the hype, to see if a movie is any good watch the second weekend. Word of mouth kicks in,  example Hulk $62 million first weekend, $19 million the second weekend, 70% drop.
From what I have heard so far, expect to see this movie to do the same.  The second weekend will be at most $15 million.

hjm
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Um, how much did White Chicks make in it's first weekend?

What about The Phantom Menace?

Matt B
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

> $50 million box office != good

its a pretty darn good opening weekend revenue for a movie that "only" cost 60 million dollars to make...

Kenny
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

http://www.boxofficemojo.com:

opening weekend grosses:

white chicks: 20 mill

phantom menace: 64 mill

or was that a rhetoric question?

Kenny
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

I liked the sixth sense, unbreakable was good even though the heavy handed character development continued.  I didn't buy the premises of signs and the heavy handed character development finally pushed me over the edge.

I think M. Night is trying to hard to be the next Hitchcock.  That, he is not!

chris
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

This movie is truly terrible. One of the worst films of all time, and not in a good way.

Jack
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home