Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Crystal Reports and Visual Studio 2005

According to the BusinessObjects documentation for Crystal Reports for VS 2005:

"Note: Visual Studio 2005 supports only non-embedded reports for Web Sites."

Can someone interpret what that means? 

Does it mean that Crystal Enterprise will be the -only- means for delivering Crystal reports in future web-apps?

Anyone?

Ieechema
Monday, August 02, 2004

God I hope not.

I'm wrapping up a Crystal Enterprise 10 proof of concept (or disproof of concept as it's turning out), and 90% of the "enterprise" features (everything but turning the report template into a finished document) are useless when you need an intermediary between the data and the report.

Just about everything we need to report on has some form of data that is stored encrypted in the database - we need to have either a .Net assembly or COM+ DLL (we haven't yet decided which) to do the decryption... It can be done with embedded reports, since they use the push model - but enterprise server stored/scheduled reports can only pull data straight from the database - making that feature (and all the caching/profiling/instancing surrounding it) useless for us.

Greg Hurlman
Monday, August 02, 2004

I think I may have found the answer.  In VS 2005, it appears as though the Crystal Report must be explicitly loaded.  It cannot be included within the project.

As in:

myReport = new ReportDocument();
myReport.Load(@"C:\myReport.rpt");

Ieechema
Monday, August 02, 2004

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/reporting/default.asp

Philo
Monday, August 02, 2004

You forgot your [Microsoft] there Philo... ;)

Greg Hurlman
Monday, August 02, 2004

Heck, I forgot the Philo there...

Philo [Microsoft]

Philo
Monday, August 02, 2004

I have to agree with Philo's cheeky plug though.

Crystal has always been a crock of sh*t. Nobody would have used it if it didn't come free with VB.

I have no idea why BusinessObjects bought Crystal.

Nemesis
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

I think they bought Crystal because everyone above the level of Project Dev Lead (see also: all mgmt) thinks Crystal is God's gift to, well, everyone.

Philo - if you can point me to a whitepaper or something that points to how SQL RE can do exactly what I stated in my first post, I'll throw it into my presentation/demo on Thursday; I'll do a little looking around myself as well; I'd kill a man to use SQL RE instead of Crystal at this point.

Greg Hurlman
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

What is SQL RE?  We use Crystal, and we are having a problem when we try to load a report within a .NET namespace.  I would like to remove our dependence on Crystal with as little pain as possible.

survivor
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

What I was calling SQL RE is Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services (I'm sure there'll be a version for 2005 as well).

Basically, MS has gotten into the business of reporting.  See Philo's link - http://www.microsoft.com/sql/reporting/default.asp - for good information.

Greg Hurlman
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

"Crystal has always been a crock of sh*t. Nobody would have used it if it didn't come free with VB.

I have no idea why BusinessObjects bought Crystal."

Blah, Blah, BlahdeeBlah. You're right. You have no idea, so stop spouting bullshit.

Tell you what. I'll have a contest with you. Choose whatever reporting solution you want and I'll come up with a nicer looking report that looks the same on the screen as it prints out (without using a slow crappy PDF), in less code, and in less time.

Wayne
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Wayne, have you worked with SQL Reporting Services and ActiveReports? Just wondering.

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

In short, I've seen enough to be confident in my assertion.

For the long answer you've already seen this thread: http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=170626&ixReplies=3

Wayne
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home