Discussion Board

By 2007 Linux will have 6 percent of the desktop

http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/08/02/HNbusinesscase_1.html

Oh oh Deep in my heart
I always stood to believe
We shall Overcome some Day

Karthik
Monday, August 02, 2004

"Linux captured the No. 2 spot as desktop operating system in 2003," says IDC analyst Dan Kusnetzky. "IDC sees Linux maintaining that No. 2 position and growing ever so slightly -- but not becoming a dominant force or even a major force."

Doesn't Apple currently have 3%? What is Linux's current marketshare (according to this research firm)?

Google Zeitgeist tells me Linux is 1% of the visits to Google, and by the argument that tech people are more likely to visit Google than non tech people, this number is an inflated version of the desktop market. Assuming most desktops are online.

http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist.html

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, August 02, 2004

Oddly, "Other" is 5%.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, August 02, 2004

Microsoft should not and will not be drowned. I just believe that its good if there is some healthy competition.

Karthik
Monday, August 02, 2004

Who said anything about Microsoft?

What is it with people countering arguments I'm not making lately?

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, August 02, 2004

I've been using windows since 1994(used all the OS versions), and Linux since 2002(version 7 and 8).

In my opinion, MS is here to stay, and will be fave OS among non-tech and well acceptable among tech people.

Linux, on the other hand, will attract most of the tech, but very few non-tech people.

"By 2007 Linux will have 6 percent of the desktop", in those 6%, 80% will also be using windows as there primary or secondary OS.

Any comments???

Desi Inside
Monday, August 02, 2004

"Other" is a bug ridden piece of crap!

Monday, August 02, 2004

I wonder what percent of users today have more than one computer?

null fame
Monday, August 02, 2004

<<Who said anything about Microsoft?

What is it with people countering arguments I'm not making lately?
>>

Sorry. 

Karthik
Monday, August 02, 2004

>> Linux since 2002(version 7 and 8).

What are these versions?

_
Monday, August 02, 2004

">> Linux since 2002(version 7 and 8).

What are these versions?"

Isn't that the version of Linux that runs on Red Hat?  ;^)

Tom H
Monday, August 02, 2004

Red !@#$&^%&^%&^ Hat! Get a Linux distro, man! A Linux distro! :-D

_
Monday, August 02, 2004

It is 2007 now.

Linux has 6 percent of the desktop as predicted by our magazine a few years ago.

In other news, developer salaries have droped by more than 20% because business users and most employers now expect software to be free.

Network admin wages also droped since Linux has a more user friendly interface.

X
Monday, August 02, 2004

6% by 2007. Just think it'll be 50% in about a million years.

Who cares about Linux on the desktop.

Nemesis
Monday, August 02, 2004

">> Linux since 2002(version 7 and 8).

What are these versions?"

Linux is so advanced that future versions of it make themselves available on kernel.org throughout the space-time continuum.

Philo

Philo
Monday, August 02, 2004

"In other news, developer salaries have droped (sic) by more than 20% because business users and most employers now expect software to be free."

Just as the salaries of spinners and weavers plummeted when the Industrial Revolution kicked in.    Do you think we'd be better off if housewives could still make a decent living at the spinning wheel?  If so, I suggest you gather a little gang of luddites and go a-smashing of Linux boxes.  Google's HQ would be a good place to start.

Vanderbilt
Monday, August 02, 2004

Except that the spinners and weavers didn't suffer those fates because there was a subculture of spinning and weaving that believed all the results of their work should be free, causing prices to fall, and the market to drop out.

If I lose my job because someone has invented a more proficient, more productive code-writing machine, so be it - I'll build me a workshop and start selling furniture.  :)

Greg Hurlman
Monday, August 02, 2004

In fairness, RedHat, Suse, Mandrake and Slackware released 7/8/9 versions at roughly the same time, so you can forgive people for being a bit confused.

Thom Lawrence
Monday, August 02, 2004

>> If I lose my job because someone has invented a more proficient, more productive code-writing machine, so be it - I'll build me a workshop and start selling furniture.  :)

And what will you do if someone writes a more proficient, more productive furniture building and selling machine? hmm?

anon-y-mous cow-ard
Monday, August 02, 2004

"In other news, developer salaries have droped by more than 20% because business users and most employers now expect software to be free."

No, it's cause they got sick of paying big money for the buggy software you were producing.  Good software still commands good money, unless you open source it.  Trouble is there is a lot of software OSS and proprietary that plain sucks.  At least with OSS you don't pay for the crap.

"Network admin wages also droped since Linux has a more user friendly interface"

Yes the cli is so intuitive.

Mike
Monday, August 02, 2004

"Good software still commands good money, unless you open source it."

I thought open source != free?

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

"I thought open source != free?"

Correct you are Philo. Open Source is often marketed through commercial licensing (e.g. MySQL).

Free (as in no cost) software is often distributed in binary only form.

Tom H
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Guys,

I think that this argument about open source eliminating developer jobs has been shown to be false.  I'm not an open source fanboy by any means, but (as they say) the open source projects that work are there because they compliment our services as developers.

Just think about it.  What are the most popular open source projects?  Linux, Apache, MySQL, Perl/PHP (LAMP).  Not "JimCo Billing System 2004".  Not even "FrankCorp Search Framework".  Why?  Because LAMP makes "JimCo Billing System 2004" cheaper to deploy and that means more money in Jim's pocket -- because he's not yet reached his optimal price point with Windows/IIS/SQL Server/ASP artificially holding his price up.

And some people would say that the developer market in general hasn't reached its optimal price point.

Kalani
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home