Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Lost Windows 2000 Product Key.

I have a legitimate copy of Windows 2000. It says right on the CD that it's license for 2 Microprocessors. The PC it was on died suddenly and wasn't recoverable.

I set the CD aside years ago because Windows 2000 had such driver support problems. And apparently all the manuals from that computer were thrown away (if I was even given one. That local PC store I bought it from was lousy).

But now I find myself needing to test our software's compatibility with Windows 2000.

How can I get a license key?
Is there someone at Microsoft I can contact?

Mr.Analogy
Monday, August 02, 2004

Or, is there even a place to buy an old O/S version like Windows 98 or Windows 2000?

Mr.Analogy
Monday, August 02, 2004

ebay.

Brent
Monday, August 02, 2004

Tried Ebay. All I find are programs to extract your Product Key from a computer that has windows installed.

Mr.Analogy
Monday, August 02, 2004

Looked again. (Hard to come up with a search string since a zillion product says "widows ABC compatible"

Mr.Analogy
Monday, August 02, 2004

Oh, and I found a couple of possibilities on Ebay.

Mr.Analogy
Monday, August 02, 2004

Actually I found out that it is (mostly) not legal to re-purchase software.

At least this is true for most major companies.

I found this out while in discussion with our external software supplier. I had just done an audit on our firms software and found we had a couple more 'office 97 upgrade' packs then we had 'MS Works' originals (this was because we upgrade OEM versions, when the original machine died we were left with only the upgrade---of course this is probably far too useless information).

My suggestion was that I pick up a couple of unopened 'MS Works' packages at some local book sale ($2 each bargain).

He informed me that this would not actually be legitimate, as the software was not allowed to be resold.

Aussie Chick
Monday, August 02, 2004

The reselling of full retail versions is perfectly legal.

If it's OEM stuff then it will depend on the jurisdiction, but if you sell the hardware it's fine, and if you unistall and sell with other new hardware it should be OK too.

Stephen Jones
Monday, August 02, 2004

I assume astalavista.box.sk is not good for whatever reason?

Flasher T
Monday, August 02, 2004

Wouldn't the legality of reselling the software depend on the specific license involved?  If it's transferable, then it's legal, but if it's non-transferable (as in a lot of OEM stuff, for example), then you'd be violating the license if you gave/sold it to someone else.  So, when in doubt, check the license.

Kevin
Monday, August 02, 2004

If you Google for pages about slipstreaming W2K, you'll find instructions on how to put W2K in "MSDN mode", which doesn't ask for a product key.  I've done it and it works.  You can burn a new CD with SP4 pre-installed, and no product key.

Capn' Kirk
Monday, August 02, 2004

Why don't you subscribe to MSDN.  You will get lots of operating systems to test on.

Tracy
Monday, August 02, 2004

I took a gamble and called Microsoft. They asked for the CD serial number (on the inside clear ring of the CD) and gave me a Product Key.

Wow!

Mr.Analogy
Monday, August 02, 2004

course -2152c and ms windows 2000 advanced server
product key was not given .

banumathy
Wednesday, September 01, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home