Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Geeks and cars

Recently I have noticed a topic called 'what cars geeks drive ?". What according to you is the definition of geek ? Are you a geek ?

Ramu Karyat
Sunday, August 01, 2004

A geek is someone who bites the heads off of chickens. I have never done this, so I am not a geek.

...but ozzy osbourne is.
Sunday, August 01, 2004

I'm not a geek , nerd, or dork, no.  I hate this shit.

Sassy
Monday, August 02, 2004

some kinds of bush turkey make this sound "geek"...

Chris
Monday, August 02, 2004

No, I'm not a geek.  Some people in IT have embraced the term and wear it like a badge of honor.  But to everyone else, it's still an insult.. 

Yet another anon
Monday, August 02, 2004

Yep, just after the full moon...

Harvey Pengwyn
Monday, August 02, 2004

As long as cartoons draw the smart kid in glasses, and the athletic kid with a harem of admirers, geek will be an insult.  And I expect that to continue for a number of years, unfortunately.

sir_flexalot
Monday, August 02, 2004

sir flexalot I find your opinion interesting.

About 5 years ago 'geek chic' became the rage.  Since then I think the term geek can be used both affectionately and not-so affectionately. While Nerd still remains a title with absolutely no appeal.

I define the 'nerd' status as pretty much being a lower-form of geek (think evolution as opposed to sub-category). Nerds (IMO) tend to have no social skills, no personal hygene skills, may or may not be intelligent, obsessive about some hobby to the point that they are inable to talk to the general population.

Geeks are just smart guys, usually more academic, may or may not be popular etc.

Are Jocks like the anti-geek? I mean five years ago when the term 'geek' was able to be used both nicely and not so nicely. Did the term Jock move from being the ultimate male compliment, to being a term that could also be used derivatively?

Aussie Chick
Monday, August 02, 2004

> Are Jocks like the anti-geek?

No, you can definitely get a Scottish geek.

;-)

Ian H.
Monday, August 02, 2004

I never made the grades to be a 'nerd' myself.

Greg Hurlman
Monday, August 02, 2004

"Did the term Jock move from being the ultimate male compliment, to being a term that could also be used derivatively?"

The term "jock" is only "the ultimate male compliment" if you believe that the height of achievement in the world is the ability to dribble a ball.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Monday, August 02, 2004

+++No, I'm not a geek.  Some people in IT have embraced the term and wear it like a badge of honor.  But to everyone else, it's still an insult..+++

I actually don't know anyone who considers 'geek' an insult anymore.  Geeks are essentially socially capable versions of nerds:  Technically skilled, knowlegable on a variety of subjects (at least one of those subjects being some advanced aspect of computers, be it programming or network topology or what have you), yet still able to hold their own in a pool hall or bar or whatever.

I've only heard it used as a compliment for years, now.  It generally means you've got some brains in your head.  Nothing wrong with that.

muppet
Monday, August 02, 2004

Any body who reads and writes in this forum is a geek
Stop lying to your self

http://www.armory.com/tests/geek.html

Nicholas Franks
Monday, August 02, 2004

that test is horribly out of date.

muppet
Monday, August 02, 2004

"term Jock move from being the ultimate male compliment"

I never really thought it was...

sgf
Monday, August 02, 2004

Best Buy has named their computer support service, the "Geek Squad".

not a best buy fan
Monday, August 02, 2004

There are lots of different connotations of "geek".

* A person who works in a technology-related industry (works WITH that technology, not managers), OR ... is just naturally savvy, knowledgeable or "good" with technology.

* to be obsessed or interested in a particular thing beyond what the majority of people would consider normal (I've been geeking on custom motorcycle building recently).  Or a person who holds that abnormal level of interest.  Usually added to the topic the person is interested in (i.e. "car geek", "computer geek", "hat geek" [yes, I have a friend who owns 61 classic Fedoras])

* Nerd, dork, etc.

I think most of the time you hear it thrown around on this forum its the first definition.

Clay Whipkey
Monday, August 02, 2004

"I actually don't know anyone who considers 'geek' an insult anymore."

Then you hang out with geeks. Or, at least, vaguely aware urbanites. Try high school.

-
Monday, August 02, 2004

Is the prevalent attitude in high schools really relevant upon society?  I don't think so.  Kids are cruel idiots.  This is not new.  Most of them start to grow out of it around Senior year.  Those who don't are destined to become management.

muppet
Monday, August 02, 2004

Jock, I believe, is short for jockstrap. Which, while an accessory commonly identified with athletes, is not something anyone should enjoy being compared to. So I don't think it was ever really a compliment.

Flasher T
Monday, August 02, 2004

"I actually don't know anyone who considers 'geek' an insult anymore."

On the using end or the recieving end?  This is just another example of a minority group adopting a derogitory term, and by so doing, removing much of it's sting and therefore negativity.  However, for that average person, it still has a definite negative stigma associated with it.

If you were to take a poll across a cross section of America to find their opinion of "geeks", you would find that the consensus opinion of geeks is that they are ok people and it's good to know one and they are respected, but you wouldn't want to BE one, or hang out with one on Friday night, and you wouldn't want your sister (and especially not your brother) to marry one.

That being said, if someone is going to use a derogitory term to describe me, I'd much rather it be a term which contains some positive connotations (intelligent, skilled, whatever) even in the users eyes and therefore implies some jealousy, than most terms which are intended to be entirely negative.

madking
Monday, August 02, 2004

madking -

it's very interesting how you know the results of polls before you conduct them.  I'd bet you could get a killer job with CNN.

muppet
Monday, August 02, 2004

muppet,

I tried, but they told my my ability to predict the outcome of polls was little more than a parlor trick.  They told me that they needed to spend the money conducting the actual polls because they needed to follow accepted practice.  They found journalistic credence to be more important than fine tuned accuracy, and from a business side, I guess they are right.

madking
Monday, August 02, 2004

I think a geek is anybody that pursues an interest with an obsessive passion. 

Quentin Tarantino is certainly a movie geek, and a damn good director for it. 

christopher (baus.net)
Monday, August 02, 2004

madking

Try the New York Times instead.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2966588.stm

Ian H.
Monday, August 02, 2004

I thought this thread was going to be about cars......?

Matt B
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

It still sucks to be a geek in high school.  They're the unwashed downtrodded bottom feeders that exist in order for the "norms" to feel better about themselves.

Maybe that's why we take pride in our geek heritage... it was our "trial by fire" into select company.  I think that its one of the reasons why I'm so drawn to programming... I get to work with people I can identify with.

Kenny
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

What the female form of geek?
Geeka?
Geekus?
Genious?
Or isnt there one?
Tread carefully

Val(erie) s
Thursday, August 12, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home