Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Longhorn Visual Basic compatibility

I assume that Microsoft will release a version of Visual Basic once Longhorn releases. 

Will it also allow you to build executables for the old operating systems -> Windows 95,98, 2000,XP etc.?

If it does not, then there is a huge market potential here. Maybe Delphi/Gupta/Powerbuilder  can step in. Even if 20-30 million refuse to upgrade to Longhorn, there is a lot of money waiting to be made.

Karthik
Sunday, August 01, 2004

When i say executables, i mean "Can Visual Basic Longhorn run on old OS's?'.

Its all right if its .NET

Karthik
Sunday, August 01, 2004

"I assume that Microsoft will release a version of Visual Basic once Longhorn releases. "

Why would they do that?  Old Visual Basic applications will run on Longhorn just fine.  And VB as been EOL'd in favour of .NET.

Almost Anonymous
Sunday, August 01, 2004

VB6 is dead, there will be no updates. VB.NET will definitely be updated but software developed with it wont run on Win95 and probably 98/ME soon. Your best option is to use Delphi which is still releasing Win32 versions as well as .NET versions of the compiler. That would provide the easiest upgrade path.

Craig
Sunday, August 01, 2004

hi
you can find for me job web and visual basic
online .
i can a few money ,about 10$ a mouth
thank!

bui van hai
Sunday, August 01, 2004

The real question is, will Visual Basic.NET Longhorn Edition (or whatever they choose to call it) make it easy to write "fat GUIs" that can run natively in Avalon *and* the old S.W.F. or GDI?

As far as the things VB is mostly used for are concerned, Longhorn is about the GUI.  And I seriously doubt we're going to see Avalon backported to XP...

Iago
Sunday, August 01, 2004

>> "VB6 is dead, there will be no updates."

Oh really... Is that why Microsoft released Service Pack 6 for it this March...

Please stay informed more than you currently do. Thank you for your support.
Sunday, August 01, 2004

== "VB6 is dead, there will be no updates." ==

What kind of ignorant person thinks this?

I'd like to buy a clue, Pat.
Sunday, August 01, 2004

Well there will not be a VB 7.0..  which I believe it was the person meant by "no significant updates".

Almost Anonymous
Sunday, August 01, 2004

"VB6 is dead" <> "there will be no updates"

I've heard the same about DAO: "DAO is dead."  Funny, my Access DBs that use DAO still work just fine.  I guess that we help the market, though, if as soon as a tool is mature and stable we declare it "dead" and move on to the Next Big Thing.

(For the record, though, I prefer VB .NET to VB6.)

Kyralessa
Sunday, August 01, 2004

I thought there was going to be an update to VB6 in VB 2005 -- that they were going to support the 'older' VB6-ish object model.  Not so?

AllanL5
Sunday, August 01, 2004

Either way, I just wish someone would take that tired old dog of a language- VB6 - to the knackers yard and put it out of it's misery!

TheGeezer
Sunday, August 01, 2004

Man, it is not just that the language of VB6 sucks, the IDE is good for shit and the VB6 has tons of bugs, there are ways to work around those bugs but they are still annoying.
Just venting on VB6, it really sucks.

James Thomas
Monday, August 02, 2004

You know - VB6 is soon to go away.  Sure! So (eventually) will cars and even toilets.  And yes - even .Net.  One day the internet (if it hasn't itself been replaced with something more wiz-bang) wil lbe cluttered with ".Net is shit" and "C# is loaded with bugs".

Try to remember 7 years ago.  Remember writing code in VB4?  Remember Model Ts?

Technology advances.  Things come, ride a wave, and go.  Ther is no "sucking" and very little actually "rocks", and everything that is wiz today will be crap in a (at best) year or two.

There really is no debate here.  Can we move on from that? 

I am interested in what is generally known about VB6 interop w/ Longhorn.  Anything?

VoodooTree
Thursday, August 19, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home