Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

BSxx on campus recruitment

If there are any students on the JoS forum, I'm curious as to how things are going for kids graduating with Bachelors of Science degrees in CS, EE, Math or other fertile software fields are going?

Is it hard to get interviews? Are there lots of companies interviewing on campuse these days? Does that degree guarantee your employment?

There was a time when it almost did guarantee a good career (back in my youth), but how are things now?

Thanks,

hoser
Saturday, July 31, 2004

When I graduated from engineering school in 1980 the more aggressive kids in my class had 5-7 offers in hand.

I was pretty laid back (typical engineering nerd type) and I had four offers in hand at graduation with almost no effort.

Bored Bystander
Saturday, July 31, 2004

[Philo checks watch, shakes it]

Is it 1980 again already? Damn...

Philo

Philo
Saturday, July 31, 2004

I've got a BSCS from a state college. 

There were 0 companies interviewing on campus last semester of school.  There were 2 internship positions posted and they were fought over by students from other schools also I'm sure.  I don't know who got the positions.  The school has already employed students from previous years some are doing research on grants while others are teaching but they can only employ so many.  The guys (At the school) who maintain the network etc... won't give up their jobs heh, who can blame em.

At the job fairs that I attended there were usually two or three companies interested in taking my resume but they didn't seem to go much further than that.

Does it guarantee a job or a career?  I don't think a degree ever really guaranteed you anything.  The demand for the service you can provide at the time you get your degree is what counts and right now the demand for entry level CS degree does not seem to be that high.

I currently work at a hardware store and hopefully I can run across a position in my home state or a position with the school.  I think it matters what part of the country you are in and what school you went to.  (e.g. Had I attended MIT and been on the east coast instead of the midwest the opportunities may have been greater, but thats just speculation. /shrug).

I guess I could also try for the help desk/support jobs or start my own company.  Most of the jobs advertised seem to want 3 - 5 years of experience and then there are the reportedly "fake" positions advertised by a lot of recruiters and companies collecting resumes which the schools employment office helps us sort through.

So is it good? No.  Is it hopeless?  I hope not.

TJ
Saturday, July 31, 2004

BSCS from a state school and no on-site interviews?

Well, that sucks.

Damn.  If I had any guts at all, I could rule the world with 10 new grads and a decent product idea.  I am gutless.

BoredB, we are the same generation.  There were no guarantees then, (I did not mean to say that there were), but there apparently are a hell of a lot fewer possibilities now.

hoser
Saturday, July 31, 2004

The school has a lot to do with it. The top grads at the top schools still get offers from a lot of places & have recruting fairs filled with great places. Even the medium grads at the top schools get lots of offers.

The top grads at lesser known schools.... Well, you can't get what isn't there for you to take.

www.MarkTAW.com
Saturday, July 31, 2004

"The top grads at the top schools still get offers from a lot of places & have recruting fairs filled with great places. "

Well, yeah, I mean an MIT or CMU CS degree may actually mean an autmatic job.

But what about CS degrees from:
Illinois
Michigan
Purdue
U. of Washington (U-Dub)
Arizona
Penn State

These are good (top?) state schools with good reputations and are affordable (speaking in relative terms).

I mean I can see how a degree from Idaho might net you a goose egg - because no recruiter can even book air fare into your town.

I recall a friend of mine struggling with the MSEE material at Purdue, and someone dissing the state school said something like "yeah, well maybe your undergrad degree was lame, where'd you go?"  His answer: MIT.

I went to a private school (Rose-Hulman) and tuition back then had risen to $7K/year by the time I graduated.  Today, its $40K/yr. Its questionable as to whether I can send my kids there.

Just pondering the landscape...

hoser
Saturday, July 31, 2004

My friend recently graduated from Cooper Union & most of the graduating class got jobs or offers or at least a serious look from places like Lucent and some other places she mentioned that I don't remember.

I know Citi, when I worked there, recruited from Columbia mostly, and maybe NYU. In fact, the Columbia medical school is named after the CEO.

Unfortunately, these are things you really don't know until you get out of school.

When you're checking out a school, it would make sense to go to their job fairs and see who's represented, and talk to some of the students about their prosepects.

www.MarkTAW.com
Saturday, July 31, 2004

Let's not forget that companies, universities and all the media "experts" were screaming about how there was a desperate shortage of programmers just four years ago, and how it was an unbeatable career option.

Someone should sue those bastards.

Saturday, July 31, 2004

HOSER!

I went to Rose too.  EE back a few years, but now I do software development.  And my EE degree was more rigorous than the EE's which I knew at UIUC and Purdue...

When I graduated, most people managed to get 2-5 offers.  I believe I had 4 with *not* super grades.

From what I've heard from back in the pipeline (Jan Ford), things are warming up there again, they expect the next Career Fair to be much better.

KC
Sunday, August 01, 2004

Oh, and when I started, tuition was $20k, but I managed to have enough credits and earn more fast enough to move up a class and get a significant discount.

KC
Sunday, August 01, 2004

Rose-Hulman is regarded m/l as the MIT of the corn belt, is it not?

Just not well known outside the midwest...

Sunday, August 01, 2004

It's on the leading edge of a lot of things and ranked pretty well in US News & World Report, but unless you're in the Midwest or working with some serious engineers, you're unlikely to have any clue what it is.

It's the exception when you actually meet someone who has heard of it...

KC
Sunday, August 01, 2004

Universities need to spend as much PR on raising the awareness of their school to companies that may be interested in hiring the best & brightest as they do convincing high school students theirs is the best school for them.

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, August 01, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home