Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

The Village (don't see it!)

What a lame movie. I bet everyone in the theater was expecting a scary movie, since that's what was advertised.

The ending was lame, but I couldn't wait for the ending since the rest of the movie was boring and uneventful.

Wayne
Saturday, July 31, 2004

I don't know - it wasn't an action packed thriller, but I thought the ending was at least, different.  We're too used to films that keep moving from 1 action scene to the next.  I've seen alot of worse movies..and I didn't particularly mind bucking up $8 to see this one.  Then again, I'm also reading Atlas Shrugged, so maybe I'm a glutton for slow-moving punishment ;-)

GiorgioG
Saturday, July 31, 2004

I don't know if it's any good, but that huge Loews theather in Times Square is closing down, and you can see it for half price (buy one ticket, get one) & get free concessions to boot.

http://www.backstage.com/backstage/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000589958

"The 1,440-seat Astor Plaza at 44th and Broadway, which opened in 1974 with Barbra Streisand's "For Pete's Sake," will shutter and be converted into a live rock concert hall."

www.MarkTAW.com
Saturday, July 31, 2004

Well, they sure advertised it as a scary movie and I can count only two times in the movie where I was somewhat scared.

I feel ripped off, I wonder what the budget for this movie was?

Wayne
Saturday, July 31, 2004

Isn't it about the same with all of his movies? I don't know why they call this guy a "master" of horror. Signs sucked, whatever that movie where the guy was indestructible was boring as hell. Only the "I see dead people" movie was any good.

www.MarkTAW.com
Saturday, July 31, 2004

Signs was a hit i think. There are a lot of stupid movies made which go on to become hits

Karthik
Saturday, July 31, 2004

I just saw it, and loved it, because I was forewarned by all the bad reviews not to expect a really scary movie.  Once that misconception was out of the way, it was a good drama, though you kind of have to consciously buy into it at the beginning.

Justin Johnson
Sunday, August 01, 2004

Signs was the only one  I saw, and I couldn't believe how bad the deus ex machina was. Aaargh! Can't Hollywood afford science consultants?

phil jones
Sunday, August 01, 2004

The problem with The Village is that the "twist" is so transparent, it's almost laughable.  If you don't figure it out in the first ten minutes, your bulb is a little dim.

However, the movie still has a little merit as a germane sociological commentary.

I think 3/4 of the theater thought it was supposed to be a scary movie, and I heard lots of grumbling and "dude, this sucks" as it became clear that it was not a "scary movie," but something that tried to have a little more depth.

I'm still not sure if the twist was meant to be so obvious, or whether the director thought he would have us going.

Robert
Sunday, August 01, 2004

I thought it was great.  If you were expecting a scary movie as in scary with lots of action, then you must not have seen any of the other M. Night movies.  Hitchcock's thrillers didn't have that much action compared to some movies today, either.  However, the Village had a VERY compelling story, excellent camera work, and great characters and connections between them.  If you want all scary movies to be the same, just rotate between the Friday 13th series and the Nightmare on Elm Street series.

sir_flexalot
Monday, August 02, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home