Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What does google do?

Seriously, everyone is talking google and the search engine, the IPO, the MS competitor, the company that hires the smartest people in the world.

I visit, www.google.com, and I see an 'input' box.

So the question, how does google make their money, 'maybe I should google on it', I am going have to assume ad revenue 'AdSense?' and also they have such a web presence.  From a technical standpoint, why should people use google over the other search engines, 'higher relevant searches?'.... 'Speed?'

Berlin Brown
Friday, July 30, 2004

Wait, were you hiding under a rock the last 10 years or are you asking us to do your homework?

Li-fan Chen
Friday, July 30, 2004

I mean you know where JOS is, but you don't know where Google is or what it is for? Is this an obvious troll? Maybe I am the only one.

Li-fan Chen
Friday, July 30, 2004

I answered my own question, but how does a website become worth 36 billion dollars, what will they have to do from a technical standpoint to generate more revenue in the future.  What does google do.... that makes them so competitive?  Is it their smart people, hitting the market first?  Are they so far advanced from a technical standpoint  that others cant catch up? Are they the most secure, search-engine that they have a 24-7 operation?

Berlin Brown
Friday, July 30, 2004

Another point, I think others 'Apple' mentioned that they are taking google concept and bringing it to your machine.  Steve Jobs, and I quote, 'it is easier to get on google and find something  on the internet than it is to find a file on your own machine.'  With the Apple's 'Tiger' release, you will see Spotlight.

Berlin Brown
Friday, July 30, 2004

"hitting the market first?"

Umm, the search engine market seemed pretty well served well before Google got started.

Their success all comes down to execution. What they do, they do well and they do it the way they see best, not by copying the status quo.

As to financial worth, revenues, and profit - you'll have to look to someone else for that evaluation.

JWA
Friday, July 30, 2004

Somehow, the question "How can I find out what Google does?" has a certain recursive zen quality about it...

Philo

Philo
Friday, July 30, 2004

They consolidate the eyeball monetizing infrastructure for new virtual economy paradigm b2c providers. 

Saturday, July 31, 2004

"They consolidate the eyeball monetizing infrastructure for new virtual economy paradigm b2c providers. "

Yea, but while also unleashing visionary architectures as they aggregate vertical e-tailers to facilitate global convergence. Facilitating proactive niches? More like monetize next-generation deliverables!

http://www.dack.com/web/bullshit.html
Saturday, July 31, 2004

In addition to the ad revenue, they also sell search engine technology to corporations that need searching within their intranet.

T. Norman
Saturday, July 31, 2004

>> They consolidate the eyeball monetizing infrastructure for new virtual economy paradigm b2c providers.

You know, I think that makes sense.

Alex
Saturday, July 31, 2004

There is not enough tequila in your diet.

Simon Lucy
Saturday, July 31, 2004

This is what I was looking for

http://www.webweavertech.com/ovidiu/weblog/archives/000160.html

It's for the first time I see such a large engineering group developing exclusively on Linux. Development happens in C, Python and Java using (X)Emacs and/or vi. Everybody seems to be a Linux hacker, with their own desktop and emacs customizations. I was originally planning to do development on my MacOS X laptop, but I've quickly decided to go back to my roots and use XEmacs on Linux.

Berlin Brown
Saturday, July 31, 2004

When Google came on the scene there were several search engines, but it seemed like they were all on the take. You'd search for something and all you would get is pop-ups and lame sites trying to sell stuff. The dot bombers never seemed to understand that luring people to their site and counting page hits wouldn't make money.

Searching on Google brought you to sites with relevant content, and Google kept the sponsored links clearly separated from the search hits. So when you are looking to shop you know where to look, and the sponsored links only get traffic from people who were interested in shopping, not people who are mad.

So I think the answer to the OP question is that unlike it's competition, Google provided a service it's customers wanted and it's customers kept coming back. Whether that makes it worth $30B with a PE over 300 I kind of doubt; but keep in mind that only about half of those shares will actually be sold. The rest will be paper wealth.

Tom H
Saturday, July 31, 2004

Berlin,

Mac OS X comes with an X Windows implementation, and you can run [X]Emacs and many other X apps in that, or you can run Emacs in text mode in a terminal.  There is also a port of Emacs that runs w/out the X layer.

Python, Java, etc. is all there.

Unless you just like tinkering with the OS and compiling the kernel, etc. or don't want to pay the premium for Apple hardware, Mac OS X is IMO a much easier to manage unix environment than Linux.  Updates are automatic and painless, and everything pretty much just works without a lot of tweaking.

AMS
Saturday, July 31, 2004

It all goes back to the dot-com boom days: network economics.

They created a great tool that people love to use and attracted a ton of customers.  Then, they converted these customers into one central place for very useful web advertising.

There is certainly large value to advertisers in having a simple way to reach out to many customers.  However, these customers will only stay in one place if Google's technology forever stays ahead of the competition (doubtful) or if the ads themselves are useful to customers (and by extension, the number of advertisers) (possible).

Mike

bankstrong
Sunday, August 01, 2004

Um, hello people.

Think. two. steps. ahead. It's not about the website. It's not about searching.

Think about all that data that google has sitting around. Think about the technology they had to develop to organize it.

Just marketing alone on what they know is a goldmine.

But you could, for instance, also build a tool that analyzes the web searching for articles on topics you are interested in, cross-referenced by opinion (conservative or liberal), passion, and writing style.

Or you could build a tool to search for certain types of images -- something like SafeSearch. Or certain types of music, based on waveforms, not id3 tags.

Or you could build natural language tools.

Lots of really difficult problems, that aren't even possible unless you have gobs of data to analyze. And even if google doesn't want to develop these applications, they're the ones with the data (for now). So if somebody else wants to have a go at something like that, they will license access to the indexed content from Google.

The point is, like someone else said, the network effect. Google has gotten so big, so complete, and so efficient, that many people think they could become a platform to do other interesting things on top of.

Try this exercise: imagine that you had a well-designed API into Google's database. Just let that roll around in your head for a few days and think about what you might do with it.

I gurantee you'll start to see the value of that chunk of data.

believer
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home