Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Another Linux win is Sun loss

Although Lockheed is showing Solaris the door, Microsoft is still welcome. "Every engineer has a Microsoft PC sitting next to their Sun Blade," said our source. "That's for business applications, and Linux is no threat there. It's Sun who has to worry."

http://neurocrat.com/2004/07/26/lockheed.shtml

Formerly someone else
Friday, July 30, 2004

SUN will soon be opening a Barnum circus. I heard the main attraction is McNealy with a Penguin suit.

Karthik
Saturday, July 31, 2004

Why do they have two separate PCs? Haven't they heard of emulation?

Wayne
Saturday, July 31, 2004

"Why do they have two separate PCs? Haven't they heard of emulation?"

Going to linux workstations sure sounds like a migration strategy to me.

Tom H
Saturday, July 31, 2004

Outlook.

I swear its what keeps Microsoft on the desktop.  More specifically, Schedule+, or whatever its called.  It is the corporate killer app, and its the baby bottle from which executives suckle.  They will not live with their bottle. Until there is an open source solution, there will always be a Windows box nearby.

Someone will say "Evolution". Been there, tried that.  Yuck.  There was a script "killev" which came with earlier versions for a reason.  As far as I can tell, killev still needs to be part of the Evolution softwaer suite.

hoser
Saturday, July 31, 2004

I agree, there is nothing as good as Outlook for calender/todo. Why is that? I've looked high & low for something that matches Outlook here, and nothing does.

Well, except paper. But nothing on the computer.

www.MarkTAW.com
Saturday, July 31, 2004

once upon a time there was Netscape Calendar; somehow that was adequate until ... the moment that Netscape
Navigator started to sink.

Michael Moser
Sunday, August 01, 2004

"Until there is an open source solution, there will always be a Windows box nearby."

Interesting wording. So you're saying if there was an open source Windows solution that would somehow obviate the need for Windows?

I think you meant to say "Until there is a *linux* solution..."

HTH,
Philo

Philo
Sunday, August 01, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home