Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Word Sucks

I am trying to write a single page letter in Word. One font minimal formatting. Word keeps crashing. This is how it always is with Word. Doing anything more complex is even worse. I bring up this case because it is such a simple one.

I know what you are going to say - I need to reinstall Windows, I need to check the registry, I must be doing something wrong, it is all the dumb-ass user's fault. MS is not to blame! Their sofware is so perfect, so squeaky clean as to be above reproach.

But why the f* should I do that? My other software doesn't crash all the time like this. Is Word some new fragile program with the bugs being worked out? No! It is what, 15 years old now? What 15 year old software still has these sorts of bugs? Is it some free software where I should not expect s tability? No! I have paid several thousand dollars for this software over the years with all the upgrades, none of which fixed any bugs and all of which introduced troubles.

The best reason to hope for the end to microsoft is it will mean that people stop installing Word. that will make my life much easier.

Word hater
Friday, July 30, 2004

Dude for such stuff just use Wordpad. Atleast it is free and starts faster after a crash :-)

Code Monkey
Friday, July 30, 2004

I solved this problem by setting up a computer for just word processing. It's a 386 running DOS and a really old version of Word Perfect. It never crashes and is much more responsive than doing it on a modern POS computer.

Going Backwards in Time
Friday, July 30, 2004

1. Use AbiWord.

2. Start VB.  Place a rich edit control on a form with a couple buttons.

3. Use WordPad.

4. Use NotePad.

5. Use HTML.

6. Use Latex.

7. Use StarOffice.

Lot's of options.  I don't think I have even covered them all.

Interrupt 0x10
Friday, July 30, 2004

Here's the thing, Word crashed for you all the time but it doesn't crash all the time for most people.  And you know all those other apps you have that don't crash -- I bet there is someone out there for which any one of them crashes all the time.

I don't know what causes this weird mysterious per-user app crashing.  It's probably something like you've said -- registry problems, hardware issues, DLL-hell conflicts, plugins from other apps, adware, spyware, viruses, etc.  The possibilities are truely endless -- and that's the problem. 

So quit whining about word -- I haven't had the thing crash in forever.  ;)

Almost Anonymous
Friday, July 30, 2004

He also forgot to mention he's using Microsoft Word for Windows 95.

Friday, July 30, 2004

I use Word very day (the version from Office 2000.)
I've been using it for 3 years now and it has never "crashed".

The Donger
Friday, July 30, 2004

I've been using Office 2000 for 6 years without a problem...

Chris Peacock
Friday, July 30, 2004

Word has some frustrating features and a still has some substantial bugs. But my experience is that it does not frequently crash. Over the past decade I've used Word 6.0, Word 6(?) for Mac, Word 95, Word 97, and now Word 2000. They have all been generally solid. They especially didn't crash frequently on small documents.

There's something wrong with your computer or your Word installation. You really need to repair your hardware or reinstall software. It should't behave like that.

DaveF
Friday, July 30, 2004

See, you guys are all wrong.

Word is from Microsoft, and Microsoft is the suck, remember?

In all seriousness, the only people I ever see this happen to is people that have been jacking up their registry trying to get a game or whatnot to run better...

Then they start having all these problems, and voila!, it's Micro$oft's fault.

I run Windows 2000 at work, and Windows XP Professional at home.  I cannot remember the last time either of these machines crashed.

The only thing I have had happen that is frustrating was a year or so ago, every once in a while VS.NET would just close down, no warnings, but that hasn't happened in a year, and only happened 2 times.

Captain Obvious
Friday, July 30, 2004

Word has not crashed on me since, oh, 1996 or so. I've done one-pagers, many-pagers, complex documents involving graphics, toc's, headers, footers and ample VBScript.

So, the real question is: what is different about your machine? Instead of placing the blame on Word, perhaps you should look at things like video drivers and so forth. Bugs in those can manifest themselves in all manner of queer places, and Word is no exception.

Tim Sullivan
Friday, July 30, 2004

While Word certainly has a lot of "autoformat" options that are annoying, I don't think I've seen Word actually crash since the days of Office 97.

How exactly does it crash?  Does it give you the "this program has performed an illegal operation and must be closed" message?  Or is it just locking up?

If it's actually "crashing", what does the crash report show?

Do you have any 3rd-party Office add-ins installed?  Is this a legitimate copy (not some Warez cracked thing)?  Have you done a "repair" install?  How about downloading the latest service update?

Are you plagued by frequent crashes in other applications?  If so, this could point to some other system-wide problem (bad RAM).  If Word is the only thing crashing, then it's probably just something screwed up in your MS Word install.

Myron A. Semack
Friday, July 30, 2004

A troll guys! Just another one from under the bridge. That is all there is to the OP.

Friday, July 30, 2004

Use gVIM.  Very nice.  www.vim.org.
;-)

Marcus Blankenship
Friday, July 30, 2004

One thing to check: is your default printer an HP printer on the network? This one bit me for awhile until I figured out that I only got the crash when my laptop wasn't on the network. Here's some URLs:

http://www.computing.net/office/wwwboard/forum/3147.html
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ProbsOpeningWordContent.htm

Rob Warner
Friday, July 30, 2004

don't hate the player, hate the game!

Patrick
Friday, July 30, 2004

>> It never crashes and is much more responsive than doing it on a modern POS computer.

Just for reference are you talking about "Point of Sale" or "Piece of Shit"? I have been confused by these two in the past and your context is not obvious.

anon-y-mous cow-ard
Friday, July 30, 2004

Is there a gmail-equiv word processor yet?

the party has started
Friday, July 30, 2004

i started a doc the other week and it crashed on a 1 paragraph document.
i then restarted, crash recovery opened the doc, and word crashed again.
repeat a few times.
i then restarted, opened a different 25-page doc, then the 1-paragraph doc worked again.

mb
Friday, July 30, 2004

Hey Rob, thanks for the links. I think my girlfriend may have had that problem. I couldn't figure out what the difference was between our two installs of Windows & Office, but the network printer thing makes sense.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, July 30, 2004

>So quit whining about word -- I haven't had the thing crash in forever.  ;)

Oh yeah right....I guess the results returned by 

http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&na=80&qu=word+crash&View=en-us are just a figment of my imagination.

Code Monkey
Friday, July 30, 2004

* It's Office 2000 Pro.
* There is not a single game on this computer, not even solitaire.
* Problem persists through reinstallation of the operating system.
* I am required to use Word at work because it is the standard.
* Word SUCKS.

PS, Word fanboys SUCK too. :-P

Seriously, other software doesn't crash like this. It's a damn word processor. This is 2004, actually getting towards 2005. This should not be a problem in 2004. A word processor in 2004 should be so damn stable that nothing at all should make it crash and any crashes should be reported and $1000 be paid to the victim of the crash for the inconvenience.

Word Hater
Friday, July 30, 2004

" you should look at things like video drivers and so fort"

This is such bullcrack. Wy is word so unstable that it is sensitive to these imaginary bugs in video drivers that oddly don't affect any other software? Why because they do not exist. Word crashes not because of some video driver (like give me a freaking break already) but because Word sucks and the people who wrote Word are no-talent ass-clowns.

Word Hater
Friday, July 30, 2004

ass-clowns is right!

anon-y-mous cow-ard
Friday, July 30, 2004

"This should not be a problem in 2004. A word processor in 2004 should be so damn stable that nothing at all should make it crash and any crashes should be reported"
[snip reparations to the user]

You know what, I agree 100%, and so does Microsoft. There is really only one problem here...

<quote>
* It's Office 2000 Pro.
</quote>

You're not using a word processor in 2004. You're using a word processor in 1999.

Philo

Philo
Friday, July 30, 2004

> You're not using a word processor in 2004. You're using a word processor in 1999.

It's good and all to beat your own best product (especially if it's industry leading). However the same programmers who coded Office 2004 likely coded Office 2000. Is this not true? To a programming team, that's just 2 branches (if not 3 or 4) in the source tree. What's to prevent them from making something rock solid in the older branch? I can see the financial reason to ensure Office 2004 gets all the cool enhancements that justifies the upgrade investment, but there's no reason people who took the effort to buy into 2000 should be stuck with Netscape quality beta crap.

Li-fan Chen
Friday, July 30, 2004

Having said that, Word Hater, you should think about applying all service packs out for Office 2000.

Li-fan Chen
Friday, July 30, 2004

All the service packs are applied.

Philo, if you can guarantee us that spending tens of thousands of dollars upgrading to yet another version of Word written by the same people will result in a product that works well and never crashes, then I think I can talk them into doing it. But Microsoftw will have to put their money where their big fat mouth is this time. No more lies from you ass clowns. We want a guarantee against crashing, a guarantee backed up by a bond. If this new Word you say is so much better crashes, then we get all our license fees back, all our costs of installing and maintaining, and triple the license in damages.

That should not be a problem for you to guarantee since you are so damn sure that the problem is we haven't upgraded enough times.

But its good to hear that the latest versions of MS software are so rock solid that you are going to offer is this guarantee.

Or are you?

Word Hater
Friday, July 30, 2004

The boss just informed me that these Office 2000 licenses were purchased in early 2002, not 1999.

Word Hater
Friday, July 30, 2004

> The boss just informed me that these Office 2000 licenses were purchased in early 2002, not 1999.

What difference does it make when you bought the licenses???

Li-fan Chen
Friday, July 30, 2004

You know maybe it's possible you guys should use typewriters from Brothers, they are a reputable brand and there's an erase button. OCR works pretty well now days, and you don't have to worry about hard drives crashing or cds failing taking millions of dollars of documents with them. They are way cheaper than most PCs and fully compatible with fax machines.

Li-fan Chen
Friday, July 30, 2004

Speaking of fax spams, when will fax machines start having a white list or login protection?

Li-fan Chen
Friday, July 30, 2004

Or post Watson ids (from Event log at the moment of crash)so Philo can figure out what happens.

Or you turned error reporting off? Then why do you think no one knows about your problems?

WildTiger
Friday, July 30, 2004

"We want a guarantee against crashing, a guarantee backed up by a bond"

Nope, can't do it. You should go buy that other word processing package that comes with a bond against crashing.

Oh wait, there isn't one.

BTW, does your company have a serious corporate-wide problem with Word crashing? Or is it just you? If it's a serious company-wide problem, drop me a line and I'll see what I can do for you.

Philo

Philo
Friday, July 30, 2004

----"You know what, I agree 100%, and so does Microsoft. There is really only one problem here...

<quote>
* It's Office 2000 Pro.
</quote>"----

This really is the most asinine statement I have heard in a long time.
"You must upgrade to our newest product since the last version we sold you for hundreds of dollars was a crock of shit, so fork out again. Yours, trustworthy computing."

More importantly it is untrue. Word 2000 is perfectly stable on any OS from Win 98SE onwards, and certainly is unlikely to crash over a one page letter.

One possibility is that your normal.dot is corrupted. Delete it and see if that makes a difference. Run Office Repair. If you're still getting the problem suspect some strange kind of incompatibility with other software on the system. Anybody remember the famous MS Photodraw bug which would crash if your computer had an odd number (it didn't matter what odd number) of fonts installed? Or where having a certain font installed caused Access 97 to tell you you didn't have a license?

And while we're on the subject of fonts, that could be the explanation. Look at how many fonts you have installed. More than four or five hundred and you may well have a problem.

Stephen Jones
Saturday, July 31, 2004

> This is such bullcrack. Wy is word so unstable that it is sensitive to these imaginary bugs in video drivers that oddly don't affect any other software? <

*rolls eyes*

I can't even tell you how many times a faulty video driver has caused crashes in one specific program and not another.

So yes, of course the problem is with Word, and your computer's settings, hardware, drivers and so on has nothing to do with it. It's /my/ computer, with a buggy video driver and video games installed that make Word magically start working.

Moron.

Tim Sullivan
Saturday, July 31, 2004

Please post some more info about the crashes and I will try to help.

Myron A. Semack
Saturday, July 31, 2004

Rarely, Word 2000 happens to close down quietly without asking me if I want to save my changes. It occurs when I make a big copy-paste of French text from an other app ( say Internet Explorer ). I guess it's maybe the dictionary feature that makes it crash, since Word is configured by default to English text.

It probably happened 4-5 times in the last 2 years I've used Word.

Eric V.
Saturday, July 31, 2004

I've never has Word 2000 crash.

Mr Jack
Monday, August 02, 2004

> You're not using a word processor in 2004. You're using a word processor in 1999.

He should buy another one because the first one is crap?

Monday, August 02, 2004

I really like that bond idea: if you really believe that Word2004 fixes, say, 99% of the bugs in Word2000, put your money where your mouth is.

Anyway, here's another one which happens to me all the time on a project I'm working on: Word won't repaint the screen right. I scroll, and Word won't repaint, so I get half the 'old' text plus half the 'scrolled' text. Workaround is to have another window around to drag on top of and away to force a repaint.

This happens on two of my machines, one with Word2002 and the other with Word2003. And three video drivers--my Word 2003 machine has two different video cards. This is an ancient bug.

mb
Monday, August 02, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home