Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Your Productivity

How much you were productive at your work place in this week ? What are the main factors affecting your productivity ?

Ramu Karyat
Friday, July 30, 2004

Well for one, I was incredibly productive because I work here in the US down the hall from my project manager, and not in Banglasheep, India where I have to wait for the community payphone to be available before I can contact him.

muppet
Friday, July 30, 2004

muppet, did your mother not hug you enough when you were a child?

Jon Lindbo
Friday, July 30, 2004

Highly variable. There were days when I got nothing of substance accomplished. There were hours when I did a week's worth of work in a frenzy. This has been the case for, oh I dunno, 38 years. Over the long haul it evens out.

old_timer
Friday, July 30, 2004

>How much you were productive at your work place in this week ?
Not very.

>What are the main factors affecting your productivity ?
Last week of the month has very little customer (maintainence) activity. First week has double the work. So, next week will be quite busy. NASD regulations give a fixed time after the end of each month that returns have to be posted, so the monthly numbers updating work can't be spread out.

Peter
Friday, July 30, 2004

every day, constantly I breathe in air and exhale CO2...pretty productive.

Yo
Friday, July 30, 2004

I spent most of the week trying to understand some legacy code.  Very unproductive.  More evidence for my belief that functions should do more-or-less *one* thing and be properly named. </gripe>

BW
Friday, July 30, 2004

Not very until yesterday - I was on vacation :)

Phibian
Friday, July 30, 2004

I'm productive because I don't have to keep shooing my children away from playing in open rivers of raw human sewage flowing down the streets.

Babu Jones
Friday, July 30, 2004

I didn't work this week.  On the other hand, I did get a job this week, which starts next week, so I guess you could say I was productive.

Kyralessa
Friday, July 30, 2004

I tend to be more productive in an organized environment.

Probably the worst siuation for me is when I am in the "zone" coding then a manager comes over and interupts me.

Mannagers should understand this and set up formal meetings well in advance.

I can understand if there is an emergency then by all means come over - But to come over and informally talk about future projects or to get a quick status - "How's that going? Are you done yet? - is detrimental to the project.

Also, when meetings are conducted "on the fly" - it's much harder to be "ready for them."

Thoughts...

Genx'er
Friday, July 30, 2004

Muppet, why are you a racist?

Rainbow
Friday, July 30, 2004

I was really productive last week, then I asked someone I work with about a part that they have for a fix that was suppose to come out in Augest.  They told me that they had never commited to getting their work done by Aug, and that they wouldn't commit to any date this year.  It's funny, because LAST week in our status meeting his head was bobbing up and down when I told our manager that everything was on schedule.  Good thing the problem we're trying to solve only costs the company 2.5 million dollars a year, huh?  Anyway now my productivity is shot because I just can't get myself to care about my piece being done on time, since its worthless by itself.

Steamrolla
Friday, July 30, 2004

+++Muppet, why are you a racist? +++

My opinions on the state of the Indian economy and thus the quality of living in said country has absolutely NOTHING to do with the nationality of the inhabitants.  How do you find my comments the least bit racist?  You're the sort of Politically Correct at All Costs drone that wants to ban violent video games because they'll make kids shoot up their schools.

muppet
Friday, July 30, 2004

"Muppet, why are you a racist?"

Rainbow,

What is your definition of "racist" and how does that pertain to the current discussion?

Thanks.

KC
Friday, July 30, 2004

> How much you were productive at your work place in this > week?

Not productive at all.

(Much more productive on personal projects.)

> What are the main factors affecting your productivity?

Lack of financial incentive to be productive.

Feeling that "what isn't worth doing, isn't worth doing well."

No schedule.  No penalties for taking a really long time.

Uninvolved manager.

Lack of challenge.  (I work this job to have time for non-work things, not to improve my abilities.)

Distraction by personal projects and interest in hacking on open source software.

General laziness.

name withheld
Friday, July 30, 2004

Fairly.  A couple of late nights and I accomplished the high priority tasks on my list.  Yesterday, after working those late nights, I took it easy and only fixed a couple of minor bugs while doing more research (and yes, I include reading this forum as research).

Today, I will hopefully add one of the last features necessary and then I will do some more research if time allows.  All in all, it was pretty productive, and I would say that it's about average.  Some days are better than others.

;
Friday, July 30, 2004

I did 200 check-ins this week...

http://www.ok-cancel.com/archives/week_2004_07_30.html

MT Heart
Friday, July 30, 2004

"tea, coffee productivity coffee productivity coffee, tea"

yea, been quite productive for the past couple of weeks

cars, babes got me going day to day :)

Desi Inside
Friday, July 30, 2004

Found out my girlfriend was pregnant... productivity went down from there.  (Though I guess I did *produce* something.)

Brian
Friday, July 30, 2004

My productivity was pretty good until *somebody* posted a link to a mildly entertaining webcomic I hadn't seen yet - damn the easily accessible archives!

Greg Hurlman
Friday, July 30, 2004

My manager asks me several times a week, "Whatcha working on?".  If my manager doesn't know what I'm working on, it must not be that important.  I've learned that its not how much work you get done that counts, its what kind of "story" you have to tell.  And you always gotta have your story ready to go so you are prepared for those drop in "watcha doing" meetings.

senkodemayo
Friday, July 30, 2004

+++Genx'er +++

I agree with you completely.

The Wanderer
Friday, July 30, 2004

Greg Hurlman,

What webcomic did you find?  Always looking for another good one.

The Wanderer
Friday, July 30, 2004

My productivity was below (my) expectations.  I blame it on pair programming.  Even when paired with a likeable, competent partner, as I was last week, I still feel that I accomplish significantly less than I would on my own. 

Yes, I know all the arguments in favour of pair programming, but I still don't enjoy it and I still feel that I'd do the team more good if I was working "solo".

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had similar experiences with pairing.

Anon
Friday, July 30, 2004

Re pairing, some similar discussion is here: http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PairProgrammingEconomics

Anon
Friday, July 30, 2004

My question is to those who say they are most productive when they are in the zone. I only get in the "zone" when I am typing some sort of long letter/essay on the keyboard without using the moust. However, VB6 requires alot of use of mouse, so does VS.NET(i am learning all the shortcuts for vs.net), and because i have to use the mouse I can't even get in the zone.

Those who can code in such so called zone, do you only use the keyboard and mostly using Cclipse where everything can be done with the keyboard? Or are you able to be in the zone while at the same time using the mouse?

James Thomas
Saturday, July 31, 2004

Dear muppet,
                    You're not just a racist, you're also an idiot. Even my houseboy and tuk-tuk driver have got a mobile phone, and they can even use it to send emails and connect to the internet via GPRS if they want to. Here, in Sri Lanka, Broadband might be restricted to Colombo and the Katuyunake free trade zone, but you get dialup anywhere in the country, with wireless being used for land lines where there are no telephone cables.

I doubt that the situation is much different in either India or Bangladesh.

Stephen Jones
Saturday, July 31, 2004

Stephen Jones -

You mean except for the garbage and sewage in the streets, right?

Give me a break.  India is not a first world country.  It simply isn't.  Now, that doesn't mean it's the fault of (most) Indians, but the fact remains that I bet it's difficult to be productive in the environment there.

Again I'll state:  commenting on the economic and social state of a particular country does not make me a racist.  You are an idiot.

muppet
Saturday, July 31, 2004

So we should move all the American banks from New York to Frankfurt because there aren't any beggars on the streets there like New York?

Your comment has nothing to do with programming;  garbage and sewage in some parts of the country have no relation to the individual programmer's environment; I rather suspect most Indian programmers have an equal or better office environment than many American programmers.

You probably have never been to India or anywhere near it.

Stephen Jones
Saturday, July 31, 2004

muppet, keep your pride high, may be it will reach your stupidity... Re-read your comments, and, oh, yeah, sure they are so funny to you and others individials who think like you. You don't know India very much, isn't? Nor other countries outside the Big America of Wonders. What is the problem, muppet, the so called outsourcing, that make you feel nervious/angry?

I don't want it for you, but if sometime you  ever loose your job and things go bad and end being a tramp, on street, asking for a dollar and digging up inside bin cans, then may be you will remember that thing you said one time about the trash on streets of India, funny thought, right?.

Ross Sampere
Saturday, July 31, 2004

Ross

learn basic English syntax and grammar, so that I can at least understand how you're trying to insult me.

muppet
Saturday, July 31, 2004

muppet,

Some of your comments and others' make me curious.  Just what other countries _have_ you been to?  And how recently?

Kyralessa
Sunday, August 01, 2004

yo muppet, come on dawg ... u never been to "other" side of downtowns(for example in ur city)??

If u never been there, just dig out some time , and go look at it .. its no different from any developing, so-called third world country.

Being one of the most developed countries, US has people who live on dollar a day, so do other countries.

i agree, u r not being a racist, but also, u dont make sense dude. u r a american, behave/think like one.

if u take my comments constructively, good for u ... if not, its ur life, who cares

Desi Inside
Sunday, August 01, 2004

Desi, reading u makes my eyeballs hurt.

Kyralessa
Sunday, August 01, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home