Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How do people get their last job?

I got inspired from another recent thread titled: "How do people get their first job?"

So how do you know the job you have right now is the one you will keep for the rest of your working life as long as you don't get laid off that is...? 

I am asking this because it seems like noone is perfectly happy with what they do. It's either the boss, or the pay, or the location, or the commute, or the work itself... There are so many factors to consider and I've never met anyone who likes "everything" about their jobs. The grass is always greener elsewhere.

So when do you know then that you got as far as you could go, and any change will really make things worse...?

p.s. This kinda reminds me of marriage as well.  :)

OP
Friday, July 30, 2004

When you find peace with yourself.

UWM
Friday, July 30, 2004

I find this quote helps me to answer questions such as yours:

"For human nature is such that grief and pain –  even simultaneously suffered – do not add up as a whole in our consciousness, but hide, the lesser behind the greater, according to a definite law of perspective. It is providential and is our means of serving in the [concentration] camp. And this is the reason why so often in free life one hears it said that man is never content. In fact it is not a question of a human incapacity for a state of absolute happiness, but of an ever-insufficient knowledge of the complex nature of the state of unhappiness; so that the single name of the major cause is given to all its causes, which are composite and set out in an order of urgency. And if the most immediate cause of stress comes to an end, we are grievously amazed to see that another one lies behind; and in reality a whole series of other."

- From "Survival In Auschwitz" by Primo Levi

Yoey
Friday, July 30, 2004

Great quote above.

And to respond to the OP:

"I am asking this because it seems like noone is perfectly happy with what they do. It's either the boss, or the pay, or the location, or the commute, or the work itself"

People often blame their disatisfaction on others. It's human nature. Sure, someone may be causing you pain, but that does not necessarily cause unhapiness.

I was feeling disatisfied with work then I remembered: I own the company. I had no one to blame but me.

I often ask people : What makes something WORK or PLAY? I.e., what is the difference.

My work CAN be play. I just need to not be fearful. Relax. Decide that fun is more important than maximum profit.  In fact, fun lives in the gap between "good enough" and "perfection".

Mr.Analogy
Friday, July 30, 2004

Never think you are in your job for life. There are dozens of factors that can get you to change it. I'm fairly close to retirement age and can easily ride out the next few years right where I am. But if I saw a better offer even now, I would not hesitate to jump ship. Likewise, if the company saw a better job prospect they would not hesitate for a moment to replace me.

30, even 20, years ago that wasn't the case. You joined a workforce for a long term committment. You joined a "family". They too intended to keep you for your entire career. But that's not the way it is now. You're simply a hired hand and everyone is temporary. GE's former CEO Jack Welch once said. "You got paid last Friday, we're even."

The worst aspect of thinking you're a "lifer" is you get intellectually lazy. Yout skills stagnate. Your motivation wanes. You become a drone.

old_timer
Friday, July 30, 2004

>>the one you will keep for the rest of your working life as long as you don't get laid off that is

It has never even occurred to me that any job I had might be a job I would keep for the rest of my working life. Frankly, I find the notion absurd (unless you're 64 years old and just counting down to retirement).

That has nothing to do with being happy in a job; I've been fortunate to have a number of times in my life where I've been about as satisfied as I could hope to be.

I read something recently that stuck in my head. Tom Peters wrote this, I think when he was trying to come up with a 10-second explanation of his goal in life. It was:

Do cool shit. Every single day. Or die trying.

I think that pretty accurately captures my fundamental philosophy too. I'm basically happy if I'm doing cool stuff and making a decent living (and have time for friends and family and all those sort of things). But if somewhere else popped up where I could do even cooler stuff, I'd go for it.

John C.
Friday, July 30, 2004

"I am asking this because it seems like noone is perfectly happy with what they do."

To quote my evangelical Christian former boss, "That's why they call it 'work' and not 'blowjob'."  Nothing's perfect. Even that job, where I was on a beautiful campus with a huge library that had more books that I wanted to read than I could hope to get through in a lifetime and gorgeous coeds walking all over the place and the best darned ice cream parlor I've ever been in.

Clay Dowling
Friday, July 30, 2004

John C., mah man.

"Do cool shit. Every single day. Or die trying."

Abso-F'ing-lootely.  I had this philosophy reaffirmed in my last search.  Fortunately, I was able to change employers like changing a shirt - although it felt much harder while you're in the mix.

If you aren't on the edge, you're going to get dumped.  Simple as that.

hoser
Saturday, July 31, 2004

I think that we've been sold a bill of goods about the ability of jobs to teach and help us grow.  For people fresh out of school, there are a few years of learning from others to take place; a job makes sense.

But, if you have 5 or more years of experience, it is time to start thinking about starting your own company.  Or, it is time to start putting your efforts into something else, like a family, a hobby or a new career.

Jobs have some things to teach us but they are not infinite learning grounds.  At some point, you've seen the majority of the good ideas, figured out how to program the kinds of things that you think are worth programming and it's time to move onto challenges in other areas.  Lifetime learning doesn't necessarily mean studying the exact same subject for your whole life (like programming).  Lifetime learning eventually means knowing when you've gained an acceptable proficiency and moving onto other challenges.

Daniel Howard
Saturday, July 31, 2004

How do you get your last job?  You retire.  Until that happens, you can't know if your current job will be your last or what the real last one will be.

T. Norman
Sunday, August 01, 2004

I am sofware developer in Visual basic,SQL Server , Access and Crystal Reports Environment. I Have no idea about Web Sites Where I can get Projects and earn money. Can Any body guide me ?

Khalid Mehmood
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Well done Khalid,

You managed to 'close' this thread !

not important
Thursday, August 12, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home