Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Google toolbar popup blocker no longer working?

What happened, all of the sudden I keep getting all these popups?

I tried installing it again, same behavior.

Is it that the websites have found the holes in google's popup blocking code?  Anyone else noticed this lately?  Or maybe some spyware/malware has disabled it? 

Roose
Friday, July 30, 2004

It still mostly works for me. But yeah, some popups are getting through.

Ankur
Friday, July 30, 2004

I've had a similiar thing - they seem to open a small window for a brief moment which then opens the popup, or something.

Mr Jack
Friday, July 30, 2004

Quit using IE - make the world a better place.

Bicuspix
Friday, July 30, 2004

Popups?  What are those?

Does the idea of having to install additional third party components to have a usable browser sound weird to anyone else?

Brought to you by KC on Firefox 0.9.2

KC
Friday, July 30, 2004

Like the battle against spam & viruses, it's an arms race.  The popup bastards have made their move - now it's Google's turn.

The popup blocker that comes with the latest version of MSIE2 (now called Maxthon it seems) works rather well - they've duplicated the functionality of IE6 + XPSP2's popup blocker/status bar.

Greg Hurlman
Friday, July 30, 2004

Eventually, they are going to switch to "interstitials." Those are intermediate pages that are whole page adverts. You won't be able to get away from them.

Peter
Friday, July 30, 2004

"You won't be able to get away from them."

You could stop visiting the sites that foist this shit on you. Just a thought.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Friday, July 30, 2004

I'm on Firefox, and I occassionally get a popup window.  Sometimes, if I click a link on Drudgereport, then hit back, a window will pop up.  But since I block a bunch of adservers, the window has always been empty.

nathan
Friday, July 30, 2004

"You won't be able to get away from them."

"You could stop visiting the sites that foist this shit on you. Just a thought."

Between Mozilla's built-in popup blocking and the Adblock extension, I rarely see any ads or popups that I don't want to see.

If one does get through, I immediately look for contact information on that site and send them an e-mail letting them know that I will never visit their site again.

The Donger
Friday, July 30, 2004

I've seen the same behavior with Google toolbar. A lot of popups come thru.

What is worst than pop-ups are the transparency Macromedia Flash ads. I've uninstalled the Flash software because of this.

Eric V.
Friday, July 30, 2004

Technically, those flash overlays aren't popups.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, July 30, 2004

i think google only hooks into the onLoad event.  now sites are popping up on other events (mouseMove, etc.) 

the next move would be for them to popup (more likely, under) anytime you click a link which would probably bypass most non-whitelist popup blockers.

brent
Friday, July 30, 2004

For those IE users, XP Service Pack 2 will provide pop-up supression when it is released shortly.

Elephant
Friday, July 30, 2004

Flash ads rapidly cease to be annoying if you install the Flash Click to Play" extension (in Mozilla-based browsers, obviously - IE users are out of luck as usual). 

You'll never see a Flash animation again unless you *want* to.  But because you haven't uninstalled Flash, you can still get at it if (for example) you need to browse a site where some silly designer has used it for navigation elements.

Incidentally, this also blocks about half the "interstitials" on sites which use them.  The extra click becomes much less annoying when you don't have to look at a huge flashing ad while looking for the "go to content" link.

Iago
Friday, July 30, 2004

Iago, you can do the same thing in IE.  Just enable prompt for ActiveX controls in the IE security settings, because Flash is an ActiveX control.  Then you say "yes" to run the Flash animation, or "No" (the default) to refuse it.

I will concede that it's not quite as convenient as a click-to-play button, but it does work.  (It also keeps you from having to wait an hour for a PDF to load when you didn't know you were clicking on one.)

Kyralessa
Saturday, July 31, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home