Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Why you shouldn't start a blog

Because coders are bad writers.  If they were any good, they'd be documenting their code.  Weblogs.asp.net is a good example of too much bad writing in one place  ;)

Also, you tend to be giving away competitive information about your technology.  You better believe your competition is reading your blog about the cool new whizzy feature you are adding and how you are doing it.

Doug
Thursday, July 29, 2004

Maybe bad writers should be encouraged to start a blog. Nobody will read it, but the practise is good.

Edward
Thursday, July 29, 2004

>Because coders are bad writers

Really? They do not seem to be bad at writing code!

Infact most coders are good at structured thinking so yeah maybe they cannot write a romance novel but they sure can analyze an issue and write about it cogently without the "what how I write rather than what I write" syndrome

As any coder stupid enough to write about secrets derserves what comes to him.

Code Monkey
Thursday, July 29, 2004

I've been exhorted to start a blog, and I have received numerous strong suggestions from people on various places I've posted that I should write professionally.

The real scoop is this: I like being semi-anonymous because I can say what I like and what I dislike.

If I blogged about my real feelings about and experiences with certain people in this industry with whom I've dealt, I would be sued for libel, and would probably have my ass kicked or my house burnt down too.

For instance, does anyone remember the British dude  in 1999 who was going to fund the rescue of Mir, the Soviet space station? I *worked* for the guy in the mid 90s, a few years before the Mir thing.  And he almost threatened to kill me because I was core to a project he was doing for one of his companies and he was concerned I was going to bail. 

Let's just say that I've had some interesting experiences in this field and I've known and had to deal with some exceptionally scummy people.

Beside, I am always behind the knowledge curve, it seems. My prime time for blogging would have been 10 years ago when I had the passion to drive all of my many opinions on tech down the throat of anyone who was stupid enough to listen.

Today I would simply be another of 10,000 or so geeks writing blogs competing for eyeballs. And I just can't get that worked up about software dev any more. Except when it hits me in the wallet.

Bored Bystander
Thursday, July 29, 2004

Because it will be boring and inane, just like all the other blogs out there.

Thursday, July 29, 2004

Dear Doug, I am a better writer than you and am also a software engineer.

I know I'm a better writer than you because I'm published in national media (not for technology coverage) and I bet you're not.

Lose the stereotypes Doug.

Management material
Thursday, July 29, 2004

Bored Bystander, not Doug, has the right reason for not writing a blog.

noman
Thursday, July 29, 2004

Hey, have a laugh:
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/2/2/171117/8823

In my view, coders represent a very wide cross section of people. Within that spectrum are some excellent writers. Saying coders should not blog is like saying red headed people should not try to dance.

Follows not, it does, yes?

Yoda Coda
Thursday, July 29, 2004

@Bored:

So, did you bail or what? Story please!

anon-y-mous cow-ard
Thursday, July 29, 2004

Bored:  Post'm here... 

Philo isn't giving us anything juicy anymore...

Almost Anonymous
Thursday, July 29, 2004

"almost threatened to kill me"...

How do you *almost* threaten someone?

Is this like all those gorgeous models I've *almost* had sex with?

Clutch Cargo
Thursday, July 29, 2004

What are some nominations for the worst blog ever?

Doug
Thursday, July 29, 2004

>> What are some nominations for the worst blog ever?  <<

There were so many excellent nominees, the judges really had a tough time this year.  They were all so worthy of winning, some of them obviously spent a lot of time on their blogs.

The envelope please...

And, the winner is: "Anyone who describes the shape of something they found in their nose" !!

example
Thursday, July 29, 2004

I nominaste:

http://www.wibsite.com/wiblog/dull/

The Real API
Friday, July 30, 2004

What about us writers that code?

After reading through the Kiro5hin article that was linked to above, I've also got to voice a complaint about of the the most common complaints I hear about blogs - "Your blog is f'ing up Google!"

Last I checked, it wasn't my or anyone else's responsibility to make sure one particular search engine worked correctly.  In fact, Google's tweaking their Pagerank mecahanism constantly - they certainly could rank blogs right out of the picture if they wanted to.

The key - yes, *the* key, not just *a* key - to finding exactly what you're looking for on Google is by elimination, not throwing darts.  If you don't like blogs, just tack '-blog' or '-trackback' into your search - it'll work wonders.

Of course, I'd wager 90% of the folks here already knew that, but I had to vent... maybe I should finally go get that coffee.

Greg Hurlman
Friday, July 30, 2004

What's the difference between weblogs.asp.net and blogs.msdn.net ?

The latter has the less ugly design.

Matt
Friday, July 30, 2004

What Rory Blyth ( http://www.neopoleon.com/blog/)
He is a coder

the coward
Saturday, July 31, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home