Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What's a good FREE FTP client?

I've still been using WSFTP95_LE
Can't seem to get it to xfer entire folders at a time.
Figure might as well update to a newer FTP client anyways.
Any reccs?  Thanks

Bella
Thursday, July 29, 2004

I've been very happy with SmartFTP. While it used to be "free and clear" for personal use, lately they've added some features that indicate a march towards an outright pay product - for instance your copy "expires" after X days, nagging you to upgrade (and invariably one of these days the upgrades will shoehorn in nagware/ads/whatever). The personal copy also pops up a diaog on startup if you run it between 9-5 (they're presuming you're using it for business purposes).

Dennis Forbes
Thursday, July 29, 2004

I've been very happy with CuteFTP, and CuteFTP_Pro.  They transfer entire subdirectory trees at a time, they can be customized for OpenVMS (IF that seems useful to you).

The 'Pro' version has auto-synchronize features I've never used -- but I understand they are there.

Oops, you did say free, didn't you.  It's not expensive -- $50.00 or so.

AllanL5
Thursday, July 29, 2004

Filezilla
http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla

Anonanonanon
Thursday, July 29, 2004

PuTTy!!!

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

PopCulture
Thursday, July 29, 2004

I've been using Leech FTP.  No longer being developed, but still works fine for me (under NT).  I got it from download.com, but the author's page is here http://stud.fh-heilbronn.de/~jdebis/leechftp/

- former car owner in Queens
Thursday, July 29, 2004

> under NT

Correction: under Win2k

Thursday, July 29, 2004

I'll second SmartFTP.

Captain McFly
Thursday, July 29, 2004

"for instance your copy "expires" after X days, nagging you to upgrade (and invariably one of these days the upgrades will shoehorn in nagware/ads/whatever)."

I should clarify what I meant there - after X days SmartFTP feels that it is an outdated version, and prompts you to upgrade to the new _free_ version.  I realize afterwards that it sounded I was saying that you are prompted to upgrade to the pay version, and that wasn't my intent.

Dennis Forbes
Thursday, July 29, 2004

+1 for FileZilla.

Chris Tavares
Thursday, July 29, 2004

I just do ftp://ftp.someftphost.com in an Internet Explorer window and can do everything I need in a familiar interface that is availible on any Windows machine.  Am I missing some features I should know about?

MacSqueeb
Thursday, July 29, 2004

Yeah, the FTP windows explorer extension comes as default with XP, I think it might need installing for Win2K from the microsoft site but I may be wrong.

Certainly the easiest way of going about it, although it does that horrible windows explorer thing of freezing up if there are network problems.

You could get to know command-line FTP... it's not hard... just open a command prompt and type ftp foo.com, help for help

Matt
Thursday, July 29, 2004

FileZilla++ for windows

saberworks
Thursday, July 29, 2004

> You could get to know command-line FTP

But the OP said he wants to be able to transmit entire folders/directories... can you do this directly from an ftp command line under Windows? 

When doing this (sending entire directories) from a Unix command line I always have to monkey with tar or zip files to do this...  is it (gasp) easier under Win?

I have to say, much as I love my *nix command line, there are some instances where a GUI can't be beat, and I'd say a good FTP client is one of 'em... (specialized instance of a file manager, I guess)

Thursday, July 29, 2004

Filezilla all the way.

KC
Thursday, July 29, 2004

LEECH

Xervanik
Thursday, July 29, 2004

Ok, I'll bite....putty does FTP?

I was under the impression you could only use putty to secure copy--pscp. 

Now, I'm all for using pscp to transfer files.  It gives you end-to-end encryption, from the data to the passwords, which FTP transmits clear-text (is this still true?). 

However, using secure-copy means that someone has a ssh server.  How do you set that up so no one can get a shell?  Sure you can roll your own solution using chroot or jail (on *nix or maybe cgwin on windows), but if i remember the SSH protocol, SCP actually runs a shell command when it connects.  So if you somehow prevent shell access completely you will break the file transfer. 

Full name:
Thursday, July 29, 2004

FileZilla

RP
Thursday, July 29, 2004

Been a while since I tried, but "mput" in ftp.exe (ie command line FTP) allows you to put multiple files, so you can do mput "D:\Files\*.*". This can possible solve the upload directory issue

as I said, its been a while since I tried, so it may not work exactly like that

In any case, when I have a choice I use FileZilla, but having ftp.exe is handy when you cant install stuff on the machine

Dan G
Thursday, July 29, 2004

WebDrive http://www.webdrive.com

It's not free but it transparently maps an ftp site to a normal windows drive, like x: so you can use *any* windows or dos program at all. It allows you to edit a file in notepad or any program you like right on the server.

Matthew Lock
Thursday, July 29, 2004

Dan, IIRC, mput asks for verification on each file (ick), and still doesn't solve the nested directories problem. For example, if you're deploying a website, that could be five or ten subdirectories and hundreds of files.

The one thing CLI FTP does best is large files - I've had issues with every FTP client at one time or another with huge files (probably network problems, but they didn't fail gracefully); but the CLI FTP has never failed me.

Philo

Philo
Thursday, July 29, 2004

LeechFTP++

Wayne
Thursday, July 29, 2004

FTP Commander:

http://www.internet-soft.com/

There's a freeware version (nag-free) and a Pro version for not very much--about $30, I think.  The freeware version is just fine for my needs.

jdm
Friday, July 30, 2004

Philo, issue the command "prompt" prior to doing an mput or mget to turn off prompting, IIRC.

The CLI *is* a good ftp client, but there are different reasons for using each.  Being able to ctrl-click specific files, or a combination of files and directories, or a select inverse is quite handy, and I would have to imagine kinda tricky to duplicate with mget/mput and trying to quickly come up with the right mask.  Plus, does mget refuse to get directories recursively?  I've never been able to get it to -- it always gets the files in directory, then I have to repeat mget /blah/* for each sub-directory.

This is all from memory as I haven't used ftp.exe for a while and I'm up way past my bedtime.

I'ma check out FileZilla.

MacSqueeb
Friday, July 30, 2004

Another vote for the command line FTP client.

It is amazing how many company networks I have seen that block ftp access (no installed clients, & no ftp from web browser), but leave the DOS ftp unblocked.

the way to start it is

ftp -i ftp.foo.bar.com

with the -i switch, you do not get prompted when you do an mput or mget.

Another useful tip is to use
Hash - display hash symbols as it transfers
Bell - beep when job done
Bin - change transfer format to binary

Tapiwa
Friday, July 30, 2004

CoreFTP:
http://www.coreftp.com/

Rodrigo Strauss
Friday, July 30, 2004

Ok, I'll try fileZilla.    Thanks

By the way, IS there a cmdline way to mput recursive subdirectories??  like  mput -r * ?

Bella
Friday, July 30, 2004

One more vote for the command line ftp. Good to know if you're working with a lot of different PCs, I have yet to encounter a Win machine where it would not be available.

Flasher T
Friday, July 30, 2004

FileZilla meeting all my needs.  (Free and does folder xfers)
Thanks.  For those that posted pay apps,  please learn to read.

Bella
Saturday, July 31, 2004

Been using Smart FTP for a while, but the messages is annoying

Now I use NCFTP for Windows, which is great.
I am a sucker for comandlines

http://www.ncftp.com/download/

Just do:

put -rf *

I think you can use Zip with it to, love it!

the coward
Saturday, July 31, 2004

SmartFTP is great, stable, fully featured and fairly easy to use.  If you can grok windows explorer you can use SmartFTP. 

And as for people complaining about the nags, well it is sad that they are too cheap to pay even $0 (not a typo) for something that required a lot of work and effort. 

BlndCat
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home