Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Which version of CSS is used today?

Hi All,

A quick google didn't pull anything useful - I need to brush up on current web design techniques, tools, etc. I happen to have a copy of the Osbourne book on CSS 2.0 that I picked up on sale a while back, but never read. I want to know what version of CSS to pick up, but can't tell what is generally used now.

Thanks for the help,

--Josh

JWA
Thursday, July 29, 2004

Have you tried:

http://www.google.com/search?q=css+support

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, July 29, 2004

Yes.

I actually did that exact search, but it isn't helpful. That pulls a bunch of pages listing which CSS tags are supported in which browsers, nearly all of them are in refference to very old browser versions, and none speak to which version of the CSS standard those tags come from. Even the W3C site doesn't provide a clea rpicture as to which release is actually in heavey use right now. For that you need a little guidance from the trenches, I guess.

JWA
Thursday, July 29, 2004

what about this:

http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_reference.asp

it lists which version of CSS each property is from, and the browser support for each tag. Just remember that the IE box model is broken.

Ankur
Thursday, July 29, 2004

You can basically only use a big subset of CSS 1 still and some few :pseudo-classes from CSS 2 if you want to make the webpage the same for IE users as for everyone else.

And you'll still have to hack the IE box model bug.

Opera say they support CSS 2 and I guess Mozilla/Firefox says the same.

Peter Monsson
Thursday, July 29, 2004

Thinking of CSS in terms of versions is pointless, at least from the practical standpoint. Each modern browser supports a subset of both 1.0 and 2.0. So you're best off learning 2.0, and (importantly) which features of it IE lacks support for.

Egor
Thursday, July 29, 2004

Ok, thanks all. That's what I was looking for. Look like I'm ok to crack open that CSS2 book.

JWA
Thursday, July 29, 2004

This is a great resource:

http://www.csszengarden.com/

It has a page, and a huge list of css templates to apply.  The CSS templates are well documented including the various hacks to get around browser limitations.

The css resources link on the page is also very useful.

Ged Byrne
Thursday, July 29, 2004

Learn CSS2 but be aware that certain bits aren't fully supported by IE and so forth. CSS1 is ancient and lacks a lot of the stuff people use these days.

Now if only people would start implementing CSS3 support!

Matt
Thursday, July 29, 2004

Some rather interesting parts of CSS3 are already supported by Safari and by the Gecko based browsers (Mozilla, Firefox, etc). 

CSS 2.1 added to and clarified some of the CSS 2 specs.  But again, what you're really referring to isn't the CSS version as much as the type of CSS: Presentational, Layout, etc, and matching that up against the browsers you're looking to support (nearly all support a large common set of CSS features).

Lou
Thursday, July 29, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home