Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

J#

Do you know of anyone using this product? Friends, family, anyone at all?

J# poll
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

kinda funny, I see very little reason to use j#, even when compared to msdn's top 10 reasons to use it:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vjsharp/productinfo/topten/switch/default.aspx

Seems the most convincing arguement of j# over c# is: "look how much easier it is to take your existing cross-platform app written in Java and make it run only on the .NET platform within MS Windows!"

PopCulture
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

That is in fact the *only* reason why J# exists.

So, unless you plan to migrate a Java app to .NET I don't see why anyone would want to use it.

.NET Developer
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

I did use it to migrate a small piece of a Java app to .NET (it did some funky insurance calculations I didn't feel like delving into at the time)...but within a month I broke down and ported it to C# cause I thought it was silly to have to install the J# runtime in addition to the .NET runtime just for that one little module.

Joe
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

The company I worked for was using Visual-J++, the predecessor to J#, in 1999 and 2000.  It is a web application with Java core and ASP GUI layer.  We since went through a major J2EE architecture change and ported the application; that new architecture went live into production in 2002.  And we don't ever want to even get close to the code supporting customers on the old version.

I am happy to say that with customers still yet to migrate away from J++/ASP to the fairly new J2EE architecture.  They seem to work without much, if any, maintanence.  Chalk one up for Microsoft.

But, the BEA J2EE environment, rocks; not only for the upgraded and new customers, it's more enjoyable to work in.

Bottom line answer to the question:
No, used to, dumped it around 2000-2001 time frame.  Chose the Java camp, and went to J2EE (Weblogic, omake, and TextPad).

Pete

Pete Gordon
Thursday, July 29, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home