Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What are some possibly disruptive technologies?

In the previous thread about what might be able to disrupt Microsoft, a few possibilities were mentioned.

There are a couple of "technologies" that I think might be disruptive - not just to Microsoft - both to do with very portable computing:

_ said>>> I think large solid-state storage + x86 Virtual machines (VMware) could disrupt Microsoft by decoupling the O/S from the PC platform. What if we could carry our data, O/S and applications in a small storage device and run it anywhere? 

I was also thinking of something along these lines: a knoppix live CD coupled with USB memory sticks would be close to this.  Any compatible hardware with a CD and a USB port could become your computer.  As more PCs become bootable from USB memory and/or as the capacity of memory sticks increase, this could take off.

Or a small enough device that lets your really carry "everything" with you - applications and data - could be disruptive.  The new Sony Vaio U70 is getting close to this.  I don't think the little PC in a cube or the old "brick" PCs are enough - if you're going to carry a device, you should be able to use it while carrying it.

Any others you can think of?

Ward
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Klingon photon disruptor beams.

T'Pau
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Those little airhorn canisters people could blast outside their offices.

Cubist
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Viagara

Dick
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

No, the Romulans had the best disruptors out there.
Better cloaks too, not to mention cooler uniforms.

old_timer
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

hot female programmers

Kenny
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

femme-bots with a penchant for evil...
http://ubergeek.tv/article.php?pid=54

hoser
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Who's going to be the first to say salad cream? Oh crap, I just did didn't I?

old_timer
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

I hate the office paging systems.  Does MS have those?

Lee
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

The new tree I just bioengineered which grows $50 dollar bills.

Money4Me
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

This book that tells people how to bludge at work Without Getting Caught. (Going from the fuss it's created, she must be on to something.)

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/07/28/1090694026305.html

Management material
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

"I hate the office paging systems.  Does MS have those?"

We do in DC. Don't know about Redmond.

Philo

Philo
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

I thought the principles laid out within “Peopleware” were followed very closely within Microsoft? Paging systems get a good slamming within the book.

Ian H.
Thursday, July 29, 2004

From the OP:

"I was also thinking of something along these lines: a knoppix live CD coupled with USB memory sticks would be close to this.  Any compatible hardware with a CD and a USB port could become your computer."

The Mandrake distribution of Linux is already available in exactly this bundle. http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/mandrakemove

David Roper
Thursday, July 29, 2004

Hot male programmers
;)

Female programmer
Thursday, July 29, 2004

how YOU doin'?

joey the programmer
Thursday, July 29, 2004

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Clutch Cargo
Thursday, July 29, 2004