Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Who Is Joe Bloggs?

Not sure if this has been posted here before...

http://www.techbookreport.com/whoisjb.html

Tom (a programmer)
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Excellent! This is hillarious, guys, a must read.

http://www.techbookreport.com/joebloggs01.html

Thanks, Tom.

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

The scary thing is I think I worked for that company once...

Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Definitely brilliant and hilarious.

It's a little far from reality though.  In reality, they would have been FORCED to use UML, drawing their diagrams in Visio, or even better PowerPoint.

AllanL5
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

"Our motivational speaker is losing motivation after half a morning with my team. I feel sort of proud."

The one on the team motivation is pure genius.

http://www.techbookreport.com/jb/joebloggs10.html

Eric V.
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

My favourites are:

/*
‘I think we ought to rewrite the system in UML’. */

/*
‘UML?’ I repeat.

‘Unified Modelling Language,’ he explains, adopting that look that tells me he thinks I’m a lowly hack who just isn’t hip to where things are at. ‘It’s exactly what we need. UML improves productivity, fits the whole life-cycle and can help us improve quality just when we need it.’ */

/*
It’s looking grim because I can see he’s made his mind up. Six months ago it was making the system a web service. Six months before that we became an agile development team where he was the one with the agility and we had to keep up or ship out.*/

/*
‘Can’t our compiler handle it?’

‘Sorry, this version just doesn’t compile UML. What we need are some CASE tools.’

The Boss looks broken-hearted. ‘Yes, I remember now, it says something about Use Case here in my presentation.’ */

/*
The Boss looks even more pained. He and Bill don’t get on. At least not since the water cooler falling out of the window on to the roof of the new Jag incident. */

/*
‘On the other hand we are almost a year late,’ the Boss reminds us all. ‘Now’s not the time for fundamental changes like this.’ */

http://www.techbookreport.com/joebloggs01.html

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Thanks, Eric. The one on Motivation is simply superb too, but at the end one starts to feel sorry for Mr.Motivator. Poor guy, and wretched bastards. It arouses a feeling of compassion. Why get at his personal life?

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Isn't the motivational speaker an episode of 'The Office'?

_
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Strongly reminiscent of BOFH, but withtout the bite.

old_timer
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Reading your comments has made my day...Thanks all. I hope you'll continue to read Joe Bloggs and to pass on the word...

Pan - authour of Meet Joe Bloggs
Thursday, July 29, 2004

My fave is "Automated Reasoning in Software Engineering". I guess it will only make sense to Brits.

Thursday, July 29, 2004

That was the funnest stuff I have ever read.

"She looks sorry. 'It's okay, Cyril,' she says soothingly. 'I wear girls knickers too.'"

I can't stop giggling - everyone is looking at me funny.

Gary van der Merwe
Thursday, July 29, 2004

Pan, can I sue you for a new set of trousers? I just wet myself reading Joe Bloggs.

Thursday, July 29, 2004

Would people mind if I posted on here whenever I add a new episode? I wouldn't want to be accused of spamming this forum...

No can do about the trousers. However I'd check your terms and conditions of work, you might be able to claim it as an industrial accident or something...

Pan
Thursday, July 29, 2004

>Would people mind if I posted on here whenever I add a new episode? I wouldn't want to be accused of spamming this forum...

Mind? We'd love it! It would make it easier for us to remember to read the new articles. I'm already waiting with baited breath. So, go ahead and make a post when you're through with your next piece.

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Thursday, July 29, 2004

Note sathayish's comments are his own, and do not represent the opinions of Joel Spolsky, his company, his website, or the rest of the posters on JoelOnSoftware.

I wouldn't mind if Pan posted when he updates 'Joe Bloggs', though.

AllanL5
Thursday, July 29, 2004

Has anyone heard of RSS or Atom or any of those other syndication feeds? Just put out a feed and I'll subscribe

MilesArcher
Thursday, July 29, 2004

Er, why is that guy spying on me?

It's never a good sign when these things are so accurate. Fortunately it only applies to my previous job, so I don't need to start crying right now.  :)

Thursday, July 29, 2004

Gone strangely quiet recently...When can we expect an update?

Monday, August 16, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home