Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

SPAM

What is your favorite anti-spam plugin for outlook?

danp
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs

I couldn't help it.  :-)

Personally I use POPFile, but that's a POP proxy that would work with any mail app.

Simon Lucy
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

2 votes for POPFile

Joe Paradise
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Popfile, with the Outclass UI in Outlook so you get nice classify buttons on the Outlook toolbar. http://www.vargonsoft.com/Outclass/

Matthew Lock
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Outlook 2003.  Honestly - I haven't had a piece of spam escape the Junk Mail folder in months.

Greg Hurlman
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

K9 - it's Popfile, but written in C instead of Perl.

Ankur
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Mozilla

Data Miner
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Own domain + disposable e-mail addresses. No lost e-mail, and no hassle with filters.

Egor
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

With Popfile I came for the spam filtering, but I stayed for the automatic mail filing. Popfile can do Bayesian filtering into different mail folders. So I have mail automatically classified as personal, work, mailing lists etc.

Matthew Lock
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Spambayes

Chris Tavares
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Mailwasher: see things on the server before you download them. don't wastre bandwidth downloading crap. don't get viruses: http://www.mailwasher.net/

bah_humbug
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Too much work. I just want to filter out spam and classifiy my messages, not get involved choosing what to download or which email address to dispose.

Matthew Lock
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Spambayes

Stephen Jones
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

I've had a couple of false positives with the spam filter in Thunderbird. Maybe 2-3 that I've noticed since I installed it several months ago.

Has anyone had any false positives with spambeyes?

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

I've had 2 false positives in about 6 months with SpamBayes but to be fair they looked a bit spammy at first glance.  Both were from  a general mailbox which runs at about 60-70% spam.

a cynic writes...
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

ASSP - Anti Spam SMTP Proxie

Of course, it only works if you have some control on the server side, but it works very well.

Steve Barbour
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

spambayes

Yo
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Symantec mail gateway.  Scrubs all of our incoming mail for viruses and nasty attachments (.pif, scr, etc) and then forwards to our exchange box.  It does blacklists as well as it's own system for detecting spam.  The best part is it's free.  (Free if you have a bunch of Windows systems on your network you need antivirus on).

Mike
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

This is an aside, but SPAM, as used in the title of this thread, is a registered trademark referring to Hormel's pork, ham, salt, water, sodium nitrite product, while spam, lower case, refers to junk email.

http://www.spam.com/ci/ci_in.htm

Kevin
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

I've been using www.SpamStopsHere.com for the past year and a half for our family domain name.

You change your MX record to go through their email server before they then route it to your domain mail IP. It's great because as a hosted service, they take care of updating all the filters and blacklists, etc. I turned it on, and haven't had to look back since.

There is a control panel that allows you to customize all your settings, but I've pretty much left it alone.

It is $99/year for a personal domain (10 mailboxes). This is a little pricey if you've only got 1 or 2 addresses, but if I can cover the whole family (8 adresses) it is worth it. Plus, I've thrown away more money on other useless things.

And optionally you can subscribe to their anti-virus filtering service. The greatest feature is being able to cover my wife, parents and siblings and not have to worry about updating some local spam-filtering/anti-virus service on those individual machines. Just imagine if they were all running Outlook or Outlook Express, as the designated techie in the family, I am the first one they call.

Matt
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

> and not have to worry about updating some local
> spam-filtering/anti-virus service on those individual
> machines.

That's cool until a work attacks you without using email or someone in your family downloads a virus infected file from the web.

Matthew Lock
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home