Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

P2P Storage/Backup

Admittedly, not an originally idea ... but I can't seem to find a company (at least, not many) offering the following w/ some level of service guarantee. The idea is essentially:
- Create a P2P network to provide a 'meta'-store useful for backup. Perhaps utilize existing infrastructures (if possible).

Assuming it is possible to get over the security questions; What do you think the profitability of such an idea is?

Assume, perhaps, varying subscription layers:
- Free: You GET what you GIVE (your GET is based upon the size storage offered, the speed (bandwidth) and your uptime).
- Tier1: You PAY for some level of guaranteed availability on the P2P network.
- Tier2: Tier1 + Dedicated servers w/ some type of performance guarantee?

Does anyone have any wisdom to share?

Anon
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Er... why would you want your personal or company's data sitting on someone's PC somewhere in Russia or Nigeria?

Fred
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Er, you would most likely heavily encrypt it before sending it out

java programmer
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

I don't think this would work because of simple economics... hard drive space is so much cheaper than bandwidth.  I can buy a 250 gig drive for 120 dollars, whereas to transfer 250 gigs of data over the internet in a short period of time would require a fairly expensive connection.  Just get a simple raid5 setup...

java programmer
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Preallocate a couple tons of gold for the lawyers because if there is any "illegal" data being stored on your servers, you have a major liability. Copyrighted material, child pr0n, terrorist information, how to build a nuke, take your pick, if you store it you're going to get a visit from the feds.

old_timer
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

You might find this interesting:

http://oceanstore.cs.berkeley.edu/

Brad
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Try BitTorrent on Google.

JD
http://jdk.phpkid.org

JD
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

> but I can't seem to find a company (at least, not many) offering the following w/ some level of service guarantee

In addition to the problems already mentioned, how could anybody guarantee that the peers storing your data will ever come back online for you to retrieve it?  The amount of duplication required to offset this seems to make it totally infeasible.  Just do proper backups yourself.

You said "not many" above.  Can you post a link of a single company that makes this guarantee?  I'd be curious to see what their claims are.

Brian
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Because there's no gaurantee I could retrieve my data later?

Because no matter how encrypted it is, I don't want my data in someone's hands who hasn't signed a contract to protect it?

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Take a look at www.312inc.com

Karma Shark
Wednesday, August 18, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home