Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Publishing a book: Un parcours du combattant??

Hi joel,
I just finished a book and i would like to publish it.
I would like to know what i have to do apart from scouting for an publisher; i am specifically worried about the legal aspect of it like protecting the book against copying before it is published.
How did you go about it?

InZeBemi
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Do like Joel :

Publish it on the net, build a community, then sell it to Oreilly or Wrox

Wilder
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

That's not how publishers operate. They don't want to see finished manuscripts. There's too great a chance that you plagerized parts or got many of your facts wrong.

What they want is to get an outline and synopsis first. If that strikes their fancy, they will either contract with you to start writing it or just plain steal the idea and hand it over to someone else already on contract. Unfortunately, this is not a rare occurance in the industry.

If you are going to write it you'll be turned over to an editor who will want it one section at a time. He/she will do fact checking for accuracy and literature searches to assure originality. You'll get a schedule for when to deliver each section and often to more than one reader/checker.

When the final manuscript is accepted it will be taken from the editor, put in queue for production and turned over to a publisher who must formulate a marketing/advertising plan. Even then there is no guarrantee they'll go to print if their market studies indicate the potential sales will not cover publication costs.

At that point your book may be in limbo. Not quite dead but not going anywhere either and they own the copyright  (you signed that away in the first contract) so you can't get it out either.

It takes months even if you think you are ready right now.

old_timer
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

http://philip.greenspun.com/wtr/dead-trees/story

- former car owner in Queens
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

You might want to try a print on demand/ self publishing house. They wont do much promotion for your book, but generally they can make it available in stores all over the world including amazon and such.
Youll be left with the task of getting the word out though.

Eric Debois
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Thanx guys,

i read through your comments, but it seems like you are seeing it from an american perspective.
Would it be the same from a british perpective: I am actually planning to get the book published in the UK.
And i am french, please don't shoot me!!

InZeBemi
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Are you under 30? Do you have good teeth - better hair? A sexy accent? Were you raped as a kid by your maternal and paternal grandparents?

All of these will greatly improve your chance of getting published.

If you have only a sub-set of them consider sending the book to an agent.

Stephen Jones
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

What's the genre?

I met a publisher not too long ago at a social engagement in London.

drop me an email and I will put you in touch with him.

Tapiwa
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

It is a fiction story. It's the story of a gifter programmer, who finds himself hired in an ISV in a third world country.
It's about deceit, loads of corruption, sex and drug, as well as financial mal-practices in the company.
I am in paris now, going back to london on thursday 29th.
I would be great to hear from you and your friend!

InZeBemi
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

And by the way, i am french, and a "funny"  accent when speaking english or spanish.
No rape, nobody abusing me and i am cute (all my girlfriends told me!), authoritative (almost dictatorial), and smart.
I am short though (5'7''), that may explain the dictatorial thing mentioned earlier!

inZeBemi
Friday, July 30, 2004

You don't think that mentioning that it was a FICTION book was relevant in the OP? :) Any advice above on tech books isn't going to help.

I'd start by reading, for instance: http://www.sfwa.org to get a general idea of publishing a novel. Then look for some UK-specific resources.

Finally, kudos to you for having written it. It's a great achievement.

Jack
Friday, July 30, 2004

(BTW: That last comment was from me. I didn't realise there was another Jack.)

Oh, finally, in answer to your specific question. Everyone I've heard the advice of has said theres zero chance of a fiction book being stolen.

Jack V.
Saturday, July 31, 2004

thanks jack!
You're right, i should have; just that i was concerned about publishing a book in general, and since the process is basically the same, i just needed to have an idea.
Thanx for your constructive input!!!

InZeBemi
Monday, August 02, 2004

I am a Literary Agent who cares about his/her authors.  Is there any publishers out there that don't ask for money before publishing.  I would love to meet them if there is.  I have some great manuscripts they would be interested in.

Respectfully,
Pam Tomlinson
www.blueheronwebdesigns.com

Pam Tomlinson
Thursday, August 19, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home