Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

to follow-up: business analysts as dedicated qa

to follow up on: http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=167686

what do you think of having business analysts that also serve the qa function?

Patrick
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

why do people keep posting these "Follow up" threads?  What's wrong with the ORIGINAL thread?  Especially when it's only a handful of posts down the page!

muppet
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Our "business analyst" folks do acceptance testing from acceptance test plans that they write.  Sometimes they execute the QA testplans written by the QA team.  Ours wouldn't be capabable of coming up with a testplan to satisfy thorough code coverage, but they can give an overall consensus on whether the majority of the business logic is working as they expect it.  That's certainly valuable, especially if they're working with the end users while doing the testing.

almost anon
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Our business analysts drive the UAT part of QA, but the rest of it is handled by separate folks.

Greg Hurlman
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Patrick,

Generally speaking, a Business Analyst must do whatever his/her employer tells him/her to do. The same goes for people who hold other I.T. related job titles such as developer, program manager, etc. Now having said this, if a BA doesn't have any prior QA experience then it probably isn't a good idea to have that person perform QA related tasks unless this person will be supervised and mentored.

Why are you asking this question? Are you trying to get the BA who was transferred to another department back onto the project you are working on?

I wouldn't worry about muppet's comment about not posting follow-up threads here in this forum. Once I read and perhaps comment on a JOS post I rarely look at that post again. Having said this, I don't recommend that people do this on forums that arrange posts by the date of the last post made to it.

One Programmer's Opinion
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Can I mention my pet peeve here? Programmers who think that 'QA' means 'testing'?

QA, Quality Assurance, means making sure that your whole business is working correctly.

*Everyone* is involved in this from the GM down to the work-experience-coder.

Testing a build is just one (small but important) part of QA!

Les C
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home