Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

In the Beginning was the Command Line

Very long but intresting: http://artlung.com/smorgasborg/C_R_Y_P_T_O_N_O_M_I_C_O_N.shtml

Gary van der Merwe
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

A little dated with the BeOS references, and with it's evaluation of Windows, but fundamentally a good read that's not actually about the OS wars as much as about human computer interaction.

Justin Johnson
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

I couldn't really get too far into it, but I object to his first paragraph.  Though Bill Gates got rich selling the OS and Jobs and Woz got rich selling the first good home computer, I disagree that any of these people came up with either idea.

name withheld out of cowardice
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

The verbal pyrotechnics are amusing but by concentrating on PCs and only Windows vs BeOS vs Linux vs Apple, and ignoring other things that rationally should be considered i.e. commercial unixes on PCs / OS/2 (and, dare I say, other platforms like Amigas, low end workstations and even maybe Vaxes) he is left with sufficiently few 'data points' that by clever choice of 4 data points that would be equally valid, one could probably argue anything.

I am by no means an OS/2 head - I worked with it for years and did not particularly like it, except by comparison with Windows 3.x (!), but I think OS/2 could be used as a counterexample to many of his points.

Harvey Pengwyn
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

It's pretty good... haven't read it since it came out on Be's web site. It's also availalbe in book form.

Best quote: Search for "bullhorn", read from that sentence to the end of that section.

mb
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

The book Cryptonomicon by the same author is a great read for techies btw.

_
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Well, pretty much any of Stephenson's books are good reads for techies, actually... (=

Sam Livingston-Gray
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

It took a while before I really grokked his point about "operating systems are a metaphor"... but when I did, it was like the proverbial light going on.

Sure, it's a bit dated, and maybe he cherry picks his examples, but I'd still recommend it to anyone who's interested in how computers work.

PS Loved "Cryptonomicon" except for the ending; enjoyed "Snow Crash" through and through.

- former car owner in Queens
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Looked through it. Sounded much like the stuff that Mac zealots spew on the routine basis: Windows is crap, Mac is godsend, the only reason why it has 1% market share is because Gates made a pact with Lucifer.

Wednesday, July 28, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home